Chapter 10

Adventures and strangers

"What time are we leaving?" Ava asked.
"Once we know for sure everyone is asleep, we will sneak out and go straight to the canteen," I said zipping up my backpack. I had packed a small bag with some stuff I thought we might need and to carry some stuff back. "Promise your going to bring us back lollies?" Maddie giggled "yes we promise" Tyler smiled  "just be careful, please, don't get caught I'll call you in 40 minutes to make sure your ok." Maddie said.

It was now 1am and we were sitting around going over the plan a hundred times and adding to it and making jokes. "Do you guys think we can leave now?" I asked? "I think it's probably a good time." Joel said. Me and Ava stepped out into the hallway and checked both ways. "Ok come on guys" Ava whispered. Joel, Tyler and Ryan followed us out. "Ok to the canteen" Joel ordered.
We crept into the main lobby, the main lobby was open 24/7 for us to go in and grab snacks or drinks so it wouldn't have looked to suspicious if we were seen.

"Ok there!" I pointed to a nook in the wall with a tin pull down door that locked us out of the canteen. "How do we get in" Ava asked while we walked up to it.
I pulled a bobby pin out of my bag and jabbed it into the lock and started jiggling it around. "Can you pick locks?" Joel asked as the lock clicked open "yup" I smiled "where'd you learn to do that?" Tyler whispered. "You learn a few things growing up in an orphanage with a sly evil worker" I chuckled.

"Ok me and Joel will go in, you guys keep and eye out and distract anyone that comes in, ok?" I said
"Ok" everyone agreed.
Me and Joel tip toed into the canteen and looked around for money.
I started losing hope since there was no food in here it was empty.
"Hayley here!" Joel shouted. I ran over to see him holding one of those metal box with locks. I gave it a shake and it sounded like there was money in it. We smiled and I took my bobby pin and unlocked it.
There was a few notes and some change. "We can't take it all, it'd be to obvious" I said "yeah we'll take $25 for smokes and $10 to get Jess and Maddies lollies"
I nodded in agreement, we took the money and left. We pulled down the canteen door and walked to the lobby exit and saw everyone else waiting
"Did you get some?" Ava asked anxiously
"Yup" Joel smiled showing them the money
"Yess!" Ryan shouted
"Ok which way" I asked
"It's literally like a 20 minute walk to the gate to get out of here" Ava said "I know my way around I've been coming to this camp for a few years." She continued
"Ok then we'll follow you" Ryan said

After we got to the gates we made sure no one was around and we started jogging making sure we were far enough away before we stopped. We all stopped for a bit and caught our breath. "Ok guys, 3K to go. We should be there in about 40 minutes " Tyler cheered.

We had been walking for about 15 minutes. And let me just say, this was the most fun I'd had in a long time! We were laughing and joking about, we felt daring. Until we saw a cop car coming in our direction with its sirens on! If they saw us they'd take us back to the camp and we would be in trouble for sneaking out especially when we were told specifically to stay in.

"Cops!" Ava shouted
"Quick what do we do!" Ryan said
I looked around and saw a large road sign I ran over to it "follow me!" I called out
The car was getting closer, we dove into some trees and bushes.
There was loud thuds as our bodies hit the ground but we were so full of adrenaline I don't think anyone was hurt to bad. The cop car sped past and I sat up looking around at everyone. "Is everyone ok?" I groaned
"Owwe" Ava cried rubbing her elbow
"Yeh. Ouch, I'll be fine" Joel said wiping some dirt off he's knee. We all looked at each other and started bursting out laughing, "that was kind of fun" Ava giggled.
We had a peak, checked both ways. All clear. We kept walking to the Gas station.

"There it is!" Ava shouted.
We finally made it to the gas station, we waited out the front for an older person to give the money to so they could purchase smokes for us.  We had asked a few people already but no one would buy them for us because they didn't want to buy smokes for underage kids.