chapter 41

justice from an old "friend"

Hayleys POV

"Wow! that sounds amazing, and Demi sounds like she was the best!" Taylor exclaimed. I had just finished telling her about camp, leaving certain bits out. I told her about the friends I made, the activities, some of the trouble we got ourselves into and the times we snuck off and I told her all about Demi. I didn't feel ready to move on or forget her, talking about Demi hurt, but it also felt good thinking and talking about her. "yeh she was" I smiled sadly looking down at my hands. "you were lucky to have someone that cared about you so much.. even if it was just for a little while" she shrugged. I looked up at her thinking that was a ridiculous thing to say but that's when I realised.. Taylor has never had that, not even for a few weeks like I had. I gave her a sympathetic look "honestly girl, its better not to know what its like. because it hurts to much when its taken away" I said coldly. 

knock knock 

"come in" Taylor called out "they knock?" I whispered surprised to Taylor in which she replied with a smile and a nodd. wow.. Amanda used to storm in, she had no respect for our privacy. this is so different. "hey girls, dinners almost ready.. I hope your feeling well enough to come down for a bite to eat Hayley" the lady smiled at me. I looked at her with a blank face feeling odd. why was she so nice? surly there was a catch. Taylor nudged me giving me a 'hello? answer' look, which shook me from my thoughts "oh um. yeh" I said nervously before she smiled and left the room closing the door quietly "what the heck?" I said confused "why was she so nice for?" I asked "she is so nice. you'll love her, its okay. she's nothing like Amanda" Taylor responded "come on lets eat" I followed Taylor downstairs to the kitchen, I looked around and couldn't believe I was eating here again, faces I never thought I'd see again, except they were smiling. I noticed a lot of the kids that were unhealthy and underweight now looked so healthy and happy. there was body positivity messages and quotes all around the room. the rickety tables and chairs had been replaced and the food... smelt...amazing. I took a seat and Taylor came and sat next to me a few moments later with a plate of food for each of us. I stared down at my plate of food, steamed vegetables, mash potato and chicken wings. I took a bite of the fluffy mash potato, it was so yum. "would you like a drink?" The lady said from behind me "oh um.. yeh thank you" I said awkwardly as she walked around the table with a jug of some kind of juice and filled everyones cups.  "is dinner like this every night?" I whispered to Taylor "just 6 nights a week.. 1 night a week we go out for take away"  I couldn't believe what I was seeing. how much better this place was and had improved while I was gone. maybe being back here won't be so bad now. but it feels empty and weird not having the girls I grew up with by my side. I sighed loudly "what's wrong?" Taylor asked with a mouth full of potatoes "I just miss Casey and Rebecca" I said.  "your Hayley" a kid said from across the table, I didn't recognise him "uh, yeh? I am" I said confused "you got Amanda arrested" he said "what? no I didn't?" I defended  "yeh because you ran off with the circus" another boy joined in "what? that's not-"  "do a trick for us" he interrupted, how can the truth have been twisted so much, who was starting rumours about me? I opened my mouth to say something when someone came up behind me and put their hands on my shoulders and started rubbing them "yeh do a trick for us, Hayley" a familiar voice said in my ear. I turned around "Angus?" I said shocked, he gave me a ugly smirk before winking and walking off. I shifted in my chair uncomfortably and started to tear up a little, I looked back up and noticed the lady staring at me concerned. I just looked down and minded my own business and tried to ignore her.

Later after dinner I was in my room by myself playing a game on my phone while Taylor was in the shower. 

knock knock

"uh.. come in!" I shouted anxiously, quickly hiding my phone under my pillow. "its dark in here, here switch on a light" The lady said walking in turning on a warm toned lamp, I have to admit it did feel a lot nicer in here with the lamp on. "thanks" I said quietly.  she smiled at me and walked over to my bed "may I sit?" she asked "um. sure" I said shyly as she took a seat at the end of my bed. I sat up and folded my knees to my chest and waited for her to speak. she was very pretty, she had dark skin and brown eyes, she was short and had a very soft, kind looking facial structure. "I just thought it was time to formally introduce myself and say hi, I know your last care taker was a nasty bitter women but she's gone now" the lady smiled, I didn't respond, just smiled back "so my name is Cassidy, I've heard all about you" we actually chatted for a little bit and I started to really like her, she was down to earth, easy to talk to and kind of funny. "now I did want to ask.. was there anything important you want to tell me?" she asked, I gave her a questionable look. she must have sensed my confusion, "I noticed a bit of tension between you and Angus.. you looked very uncomfortable, were you okay with him touching you like that?" she asked cautiously. I looked down and hugged my knees. "its okay hunny, you can tell me if something is going on"  I looked at Cassidy, I looked into her concerned eyes and knew I could tell her. "before I ran away.. he used to touch me" I whispered "he touched you?" she repeated upset, I nodded.. "hunny what did he do?.. did he assault you?" she asked. I nodded again and started crying. "oh my gosh, did Amanda know?" she asked "she didn't care, I got in trouble" I cried "aw hunny come here" she said and pulled me in for a hug, she rubbed my back comfortingly "its not your fault hunny, it should never have happened and you shouldn't be treated like that.. it'll be okay" I pulled away from her and wiped my tears "thank you for listening" I cried "no, thank you for telling me, I'm going to take care of it" she assured me.  Taylor entered the room "oh sorry! am I interrupting?" she said about to leave the room "no no not at all, this is your room, I was just saying goodnight to Hayley and checking she was settling back in okay. I'll leave you girls alone now" Cassidy smiled and started walking to the door "I've left cookies and cut up some fruit, and left it out on the table in the kitchen incase anyone gets hungry during the night, goodnight girls" "goodnight" Taylor said as Cassidy left "she is lovely!" I said to Taylor "isn't she? I knew you'd love her" she smiled. Taylor and I stayed up for a little while longer talking and laughing until we both eventually fell asleep.