Chapter 25: To Rescue or Not to Rescue?

—————————————

Unknown Prison

Hilde came back to her cell. Duo looked miserable. "I'm okay." She wouldn't let him continue that. "There's no doctor yet, Duo. They just grabbed me and had me sit in a room doing nothing. They just wanted to get a reaction out of you."

Yeah, he looked more relieved now. "Cheap shot. It'll be okay, Hilde, we'll be out of here before you know it."

She really didn't know how to believe that. Apparently Duo noticed that disbelieving look.

"Oh, come on? It's a shoddy prison with rusted bars, holding back a gundam pilot?" he pointed out. "Plus, I mean, chances RTL kept all the info from all of us pilots? I bet at least one of us uncovered something."

Well, it did sort of make sense. It sounded nice. To believe that would be really good because . . . "Duo. I felt such relief, incredible relief, when I knew I was okay." She slouched on the side of the cell, matching him. "I don't . . . I don't want kids."

"Well yeah, we are pretty young right now," Duo agreed.

"I mean, not just that." She probably shouldn't say it. She didn't want to feel worse.

"You don't ever want kids?" Duo asked. "That's fine, me neither."

"Yeah, but most women want kids at some point."

"Yeah, but you aren't most women," Duo countered her. "I know that I probably don't want any, or I want lots."

Lots?

"Like ten or twenty, it'd be weird to just have one," Duo answered her.

Ten or twenty?! "That's a lot of kids, Duo."

"Yeah, so I'll probably stick with zero if I can. It feels like an all or nothing kind of thing." He winked at her. "So let's hope it stays zero."

"You better be kidding!" It took a second for her to register that wink. "Oh." She smiled. He was kidding."

"We'll figure things out," Duo promised. "If worse comes to worse? We can't just send a kid up. I know how that went. I know that really well."

Yeah. Hilde bit her lip. She was happy with her life the way it had been. She didn't need anything else. Duo was right though, if anything happened, they couldn't just send it off. They'd take care of it. Make sure it ate and it had shelter. But, Duo probably said it best in the beginning. "If you can be Uncle Duo, can I be Aunt Hilde?"

Duo held his eyes on hers for longer. "Hild, don't cry." He moved off the floor and stood up.

Hilde didn't move.

"Aunt Hilde's fine," Duo said to her. "It wouldn't even get it at first. We just don't want to raise it like ours, but as long as it's happy, it's not too bad?"

"So what, like a little brother or sister?"

"Heard of worse," he said. "If that's what you want. No one else is giving you a choice in any of this, so whatever you want. As long as we eventually tell it the truth when it's grown up. It'd hate us probably, but I can deal with that. If that's what you want?"

Hilde hid herself behind her knees. "I don't know what I want."

"Well, you'll get plenty of time to think about it, if anything happens, but nothing's happened yet," he reminded her. "You're born and raised from space, Hild, and the fact we've been on Earth for a little while too just makes it that much harder for them to get what they want. So, believe in me. We'll get out."

We'll get out. We'll get out. Remember that.

"So?"

"So." Hilde knew what he wanted. Why didn't she tell him a long time ago, when they first came to Earth because of it? "It was going to happen one way or another. There was so much going on, I didn't want to dwell on it yet." But. "I can't go through it keeping it all bottled up again."