Chapter 16: Switch

"No."

Relena had not seen that coming over the course of the day. She was standing beside Zeches, in the middle of Quatre's living room, with Heero not letting Zeches take her. After finding out about the possibly fake test, she and Dorothy were prepared to take tests. However?

Space was different. Earth was different. They could take the test but it said right on the packaging, it could not guarantee results to anyone that had lived less than three years in space.

Quatre had then made the brief recommendation, more to be polite than accepted, that he could have his doctor examine them. Heero didn't even need to say a thing.

RTL could have threatened someone his doctor loved. They could easily do it, they had the resources to move on any threat. Deciding there was no choice but Earth pregnancy tests, Heero gave control of a secure line to her.

Zeches came with cheap tests, but also with the will to have his own personal doctor examine her, and Heero was fighting him on the point. "My doctor's go through rigorous training and trusted trials. He has taken care of me for years, and I trust his judgment. She needs to be looked at and confirmed by a trustworthy doctor."

"No one is trustworthy if RTL gets to them." Heero wouldn't hear of it. "No."

"Relena," Zeches looked toward her. "I did locate imported pregnancy tests, but it will do little good. They are emergency tests and only for evaluation purposes. It says right on the boxes that an Earth test taken to outer space will not give accurate results either."

That way too? To take an accurate Earth pregnancy test, the test had to stay on Earth. "No wonder we couldn't find any imported." She looked back toward Heero. Was there any other choice? Short of going back to the Earth. With quarantine happening, that would take time, unless Zeches knew of an isolated and safe path. "We have to trust somewhere, Heero."

"Not there." Simple, secure words. Heero wasn't backing down. "Any doctor by you means he also used to work for the alliance, for Oz, and anything else you ever worked for."

"One exam, and this could all be cleared up. Relena could be out of this mess," Zeches insisted.

"One exam, and a negative could become positive," Heero came right back with.

"No, it can't. You would need the best luck there is without whatever technology RTL had been using, and you've already proved that it is flawed," Zeches pointed out.

"It's still a chance."

"She can't be out like this with a previous gundam pilot, it's going to get her killed!"

"I am watching out for her. She isn't going to get killed. Going to a doctor is not happening."

"Fine then, then I will take her and do my best to get through the quarantine sections," Zeches insisted. "It will take at least five days to crawl through it safely."

"No."

"Then what do you want to do?" Zeches demanded. "She needs a doctor. She needs to be accurately tested. You can't get any of that here."

"Zeches is right, Heero," Quatre sided with him. "We need to trust someone or wait until they are undeniably pregnant. We have to make it back down to Earth."

"Where on Earth? Places I know aren't safe anymore."

Relena watched Quatre's movements. He didn't seem comfortable with the question Heero threw at him. He'd rather we all go back to Earth than with Zeches' doctor.

"This is utterly ridiculous," Zeches spoke up. "Quatre Raberba Winner, you have your own doctor, do you not?"

"We just need a blood test," Quatre pointed out to them. "That's it. If we watch the doctors draw blood and perform the blood test, it should be good enough. My doctors have their own lab, it won't take long." He looked toward Dorothy. "Would that be fine, Miss Dorothy?"