Chapter 8: The History of Revenge of The Lost

Zhang Colony

"Stop struggling," Zhang Li's brother said as Mei-Lin wiggled in her chair. She wasn't tied up, but understandably fidgety. The almost extinct Long colony's Chang Wufei wanted to take her away, and the idiots that were Li's brothers, along with some of the stupid citizens who believed in their ideals, were gathered there to take a stand. A stand for what? For her. All of this, so that she and her unborn didn't go to the Long colony. Futile, not to mention stupid. Zhang Li or Chang Wufei, they were both going to be the same thing. She hardly knew either one. One was from a dissonant probably extremely small colony and the other was from her own colony but she didn't much favor how he helped her.

She looked over Zhang Li's brother. "Your outfit's stained. Is that what you would have worn to my wedding? Which you were late to, obviously."

"If we could give you away, Mei-Lin, without any kind of honorable strife?" He answered. "I would."

"You are learning the brother roll well. Compliments." She gave him a cheery, crooked smile.

"I hate when you do that. Don't smile like that." He looked away.

"Future brother, can you at least get me something to eat? This isn't good for me, all this stress, especially in my condition. I'd like some water. With some lemon."

"We don't have lemon."

"Then go to my house and get the lemon. This isn't hard. Home isn't more than ten homes away. Which begs the question why Zhang Li didn't feel like he should bother to visit his bride to be more often. We've known since we were children. He wouldn't accept my letters before the wedding."

"Putting off the nightmare as long as possible. Be quiet, Mei-Lin."

"I will be," she insisted. "If someone would get me some water with some lemon already. Oh, and something simple to eat. I don't want very much. Shrimp would be decent." Everyone was getting tired of her. Good. "Fine, ignore my plight. When we go to war and the press ask why, I will be sure to throw off the subject and tell them that in our own colony, they couldn't take care of the nutritional needs of one woman."

"Fine!" One of his brothers said as he got up.

"And my water? With lemon," she insisted to the other one.

"Someone needs to make sure you don't do anything stupid," his other brother said.

She shrugged. It was too easy. She'd do it anyway. "Then who's watching you?"

Half an hour. One suitcase. That was decent of him considering the circumstances. Wufei looked at the time. "Woman." He was going to have to go and fetch her. He left the shuttle with the guard again, dealt with the strange stares at him again like he was some mythical extinct creature, until he came back to the marriage area. Li Zhang was still there. Buffoon really expected Wufei to just talk it out and have it resolved. "Where does she live?"

Li Zhang gave him directions and he headed out with his guard again. The longer he was on the Zhang colony, the worse things could get. He should have just commanded her to come right away but the way she fought for those robes, she needed closure. She apparently knew it wouldn't be a small talk with a tidy resolution.

When he found her address, he found out why she wouldn't come. Three men stood in front of her home, armed. Her family apparently didn't feel like her going was a good idea. "Stop being idiots." Warning one. Normally, that would be all they would get, if his colony had been as strong as it once had been. "Send Wang Mei-Lin out here." He watched one of the men approach with a contract. Seriously?