Chapter 27: Without Words

To Trowa and Middie on the Road . . .

Trowa stopped the truck as Middie got out. He would call the guys back in a second, but this wouldn't be stopped. Middie had been patting his hand in a panic as he was reading on his side of the tablet. While he had been doing that she saw a curious tab called 'recommendations'. She clicked it and a small amount of messages popped out on the side of the screen.

When she got out, he could see more clearly what 'recommendations' was referring to. Trowa got out of the truck and tried to approach her steadily. "Middie." He couldn't tell whether she threw up. She might in a second after he said this, but she couldn't bury things forever. "Did you recognize a recommendation?" He was rewarded with a rock being thrown at him. Not a big rock, just the nearest thing her body could fling to silence him. That wasn't very like her. "We can't waste time here, lives are at stake. We either need to talk this out, or get back in the truck."

She looked appalled at either idea. She turned and faced away. Clearly he was going to have to look at the recommendations again. "I'm going back to the truck to finish giving information. The longer we wait to move, the less chance of success. Be aware of that."

Trowa went back to the truck and started to download information to the phone. They needed to get to that woman with the help needed for Dorothy Catalonia, or Quatre would be sad. As he did that, he looked back at the recommendations. There was something that triggered her in there. He scrolled through it. Was it the sensation it gave? A certain message? It was messages that recommended different ways to embellish death, or different ways for the mothers to suffer and die.

Most were really general, some just said poison or stab, while some were more structured with things like 'In A Mass Burning!'. He scrolled back upwards, studying the area she had probably seen.

He found it and a page associated with it. "Middie." He got back out and went on the side of the truck. She was sitting on the ground with her head half covered up. He went over toward her. This wouldn't be easy, so he did it the best way he could think of. He went to the recommendation he thought triggered her and pointed to it. He saw her react by digging her head away deeper with a slight involuntary squeal. He laid the device down and sat beside her. He heard her crying and he didn't say anything this time. When it was clear she got herself under control, he knew he would have to start it off but this wasn't easy. The recommendations referenced some torture, but then it went and actually gave a page of instructions. He didn't know how far down they had gone in those instructions until Duo had saved her. "Are you going to live?"

She nodded.

Okay, so they didn't finish. "Did they get to the injections?"

She shook her head. No, they didn't get that far.

Trowa thought back to the list. He didn't want to guess where they left off, but just like Duo said, Middie had to share at some point. "Did they brand you?"

"Next." She finally spoke.

Okay then. That made it clear where they left off. "When you are ready, we need to talk." If she wasn't going to talk to Cathy, then she needed to talk to someone.

"Let's just go." She pulled herself off the ground.

"Ignoring this won't make it better," he said as he stood up.

"Nothing makes it better, and you can't tell me anything!" she went off on him. "Look at you, I mean, if anyone needs help, it's the former gundam pilots, okay?! I hardly did much, there's a lot worse off than me!" She started to cry again.

He gave her time. This wouldn't be something solved over night. "Cathy helped me. A lot." More than anyone could ever know. "We have all had someone help us. We've dealt with our own tragedies, in our own ways. Talks with people we trust. Time spent with those we love. Life isn't perfect, no one lives it perfectly, but we can't bottle everything up inside."