48: Superior

“Platinum. Gear up,” Crystalia commanded. “You start tonight with Sapphire. Blue Ruby and Red Emerald will leave after you.”

“Tonight.” That soon. It’ll be okay. He’ll be ready, if he gets it. It was cutting it close. “Our first real mission.”

“It’s been a long time. Just look how big Zara got,” Blue Ruby agreed. “They will be super offguard. We’ll get it done, Crystalia. Except for . . . how are we going to get Relena?”

“You aren’t going after her. Another team will take care of the others at the same time,” Crystalia insisted.

Yes, getting Relena past Heero Yuy wouldn’t be easy. “Bring them straight to the zero systems,” Dorothy insisted to them. “Don’t fool around, just straight to the systems! Or you’ll mess up our only chance at this.”

“We would never mess it up-”

“Pray that you don’t!” Dorothy didn’t let up. “This is our last chance at victory. This is no time to muddle ourselves in anything.” She came toward Blue Ruby and Red Emerald. “All of you did a disapproving job before because you have no experience in war. I, on the other hand, worked in sych with the Romefeller foundation, was there at the coronation of Queen Relena Peacecraft, and rode side by side with Milliardo Peacecraft! I refuse to disappoint.” She spun her hair around just right when she saw Superior. She saluted. “Ma’am!”

Superior. Dorothy couldn’t tease. Dorothy couldn’t smile. She had to be rough and commanding in front of her. As long as she was, Superior would trust her. Especially as the only one with real war experience. The only gems there had limited experience.

There was Blue Ruby. She was exposed to the zero system nearly every day on training mode, plus she had bitterness in her heart that only increased her anger. There was nothing good in life to her. She hated everything, even life now. She swore to end her own life, after she made the ‘unfeelable pilot’ feel what she felt.

Red Emerald. She was willing to kill anyone it took to hurt Quatre. Dorothy’s very presence irritated her, and she had been the one just watching her die less than peacefully, but she wasn’t allowed to go against anyone else in Revenge of the Lost. So?

Everything that Dorothy could do to annoy her, she typically stressed it more on her. She only had three goes in the zero system, but Red Emerald’s body didn’t take the stress at all of it. She was cracked and unfixable. Death would be better for her.

Sapphire hung in the back. She never said or did much to Dorothy. She was supposed to have been with Revenge of the Lost, left, and got forced to come back when RTL was found out. If she was found, a long prison sentence would await her.

Dorothy didn’t even converse with her. She honestly shouldn’t be there, and the closer she got, the more she wished she could just break her free. It was easy to tell from her heart, from her actions, and from her words. She was a part of Revenge of the Lost when it was more okay. She was scared to leave, but stayed out of that fear. She found the courage to leave after doing something redeeming to her spirit.

Dorothy didn’t know what Sapphire did, but it was something that made her presence feel lighter, though the throat of life in prison was wrapped around her neck.

Ken and Bubblegum Diamond just left.

Superior had been pretty much in the zero system whenever they weren’t working. Superior had her favorite, her Lady Zero. Eat. Sleep. Lady Zero seemed alive to her, she couldn’t tell the difference anymore.

Dorothy didn’t trick Superior, only impressed her. She never let her see her weak or charitable, always working and disciplining. It impressed Superior enough that she actually got something that no one had actually gotten so far. The way she had wanted to end Miss Relena.