Chapter 14: Imperfect

Private Shuttle

Middie looked at the shuttle. I can't believe this. It felt like her worst nightmare. At least Gin was being a supportive Uncle. She never even knew Finn. Gin was relaxing on the shuttle with her, trying to dab her face.

"You got blood on you again when you fell." He tried to gently wipe her cheek. "Sorry, One Song. I really am."

He had been. Middie knew that, still he couldn't stop it or say anything. He was under the thumb of both his mother and father. He told her if she had the chance, she should take the hit on his dad. But his mom? Oh no, she was off limits. Her hitting was for good. It just helped them determine the truth better. Sure. Meanwhile his father?

"How's the splint?" Gin looked at her hand that she didn't use for a gun.

Middie nodded. At least the enemy didn't see it. If he realized the finger on her other hand was broken, he probably wouldn't have given her the knife. Why did he do that? She didn't know but she didn't trust anyone trying to be friendly right now. It could just be a trap to get her comfortable. There was no reason anyone would go out of their way to rescue her. They would only go out of their way to kill her.

"Don't worry, real soon. They've got some kind of quarantine thing going on according to mom," he told her. "It's real hard to shut us out though. We'll get this Dorothy Catalonia."

We'll? Big talker, but Middie would probably be the one who had to fire. They had nothing to gain from me. It wasn't about that though. The present wasn't a thing to RTL. It wanted justice for the past, even if she hadn't done anything personally to children, she knew now why she was selected. "Do you have the pictures on you?"

"Yep. Made small ones too for the wallet," Gin said as he showed it to her. "I won't forget it. Dorothy Catalonia. Smug face." He showed it to her. She took it with her better hand. "Platinum blondie, just like you. A bad girl though, unlike you," he pointed out. He took out the second picture. "Catherine Bloom. If you see her, let me know right away."

Sure, so he can hide. Catherine Bloom. Catherine Bloom, No Name's sister. Catherine and No Name both lost their parents, and for a long time, each other in a raid. No Name would have been so young still, almost a baby.

Middie didn't want to believe it. No Name sounded so sincere when he was at her apartment, but he was No Name. A poker face. Reading him was impossible. Besides, once she had the information, it was easy to look it up. She could look it up right now. Catherine Bloom had fit the absolute bill. The right time. Lost a sibling and her parents during an air raid. Perfect case. Why wouldn't No Name be helping his sister? Just wait now. She handed the pictures back.

"I doubt we'll run into this Bloom girl, so don't worry," Gin said to her. "She's on Earth. All we gotta do is find and take care of Catalonia. We are going to bring her to justice."

Middie had played the 'stick 'em up, we're kidnapping game' before. Never worked out. Unless Catalonia went peacefully, they would have to shoot her to make RTL happy. It was the only good thing about having Gin's dad show up. She knew what was wrong, what was at stake, and what to do. It was the only thing good about him showing back up. Gin put the pictures back in his wallet.

"I hear it's pretty up there," Gin told her. "Maybe after all this is over, we should go up there. Mom would lend us the money to get started."

"Maybe," she muttered. Middie didn't know what to pick for her future right now. Gin was offering help, and so was his wretched mother. Her baby was Finn's, and that made it family to Gin's mother. While it made it family, 'Uncle' Gin wanted to take care of Middie strongly away from the family. Something she couldn't disagree with considering the options.