Chapter 12: Worthless Game That Only Has Losers

Normally, Dorothy didn't let things get to her. She moved through her own troubles in life with as much grace as she could. Yet? As she made up the steps to Quatre Raberba Winner's personal room, she felt great unease. Nothing he had done made any sense and many coincidences raced in her head with each step she took up the winding staircase. Her and Relena had a similar surgery. Heero had suspected her medication was stalling her healing. She was being accused of killing someone, and even though she should be cleared of it, Quatre Winner had practically stole her from the situation. What could be going on?'

What could be going on that could possibly include her? Her time in the spotlight should be dimming. She was there for Relena when she needed information, and perhaps when she got older, she would look into going into her own political career. Other than that, her grandfather was gone, and she was simply there. The backdrop of someone once involved. Yet? On the last stair to climb, she only wished she could feel like all of it was in the past. She reached toward the door and knocked.

Mister Winner answered it. "Hello. Please come in." He gestured her into his room.

Why did they have to meet in there of all places? "There was a lovely lounge downstairs." He didn't seem to be budging.

"Sit down, Dorothy Catalonia." Quatre Winner gestured to the window. "I have something I need to explain to you. It's going to be life changing, and I'm sorry. There's no real way to do this right, but I've delayed long enough. Trowa already lost track of his."

Trowa Barton? "Lost track of his what?"

"Dorothy, just hang on. I?" Quatre gripped his hands to the sides, like he was fighting against something. "There's a group called Revenge of the Lost. They've targeted the previous Gundam Pilots."

A group targeting the former pilots? "How unfortunate." What did it have to do with her though?

"The Press and Relena."

Okay? Once again, she still didn't understand what he was trying to say. "They framed Miss Relena, and they are framing me for the death of a colonist."

"No, they? Well, they did frame Relena, but not quite as much as you think."

This. Man. He was not quite as forthcoming as she presumed he could be. "Not quite as much as I think?"

"Yes. She wasn't there for a secret abortion," Quatre said, "but she can't prove it. That's why Heero took her, he knew she couldn't prove it. She was pregnant, she just didn't know it."

Miss Relena? That. Well? That.

"Revenge of the Lost did it. There's advanced technology that isn't out to the public yet. It assures pregnancy the first time during, you know?" Slipping, and she was starting to guess why. "Your own surgery."

Nuh uh. He couldn't be going there? That was utter ridiculousness what she was starting to think. "Please be more forthcoming?"

Quatre Winner gestured to her. "Your carrying mine."

" . . . a little less forthcoming that that." A little too late to say that. "Tonsillectomy."

"Yeah. That's why Heero took your medicine," Quatre said. "There's more too."

Oh. "More?"

"You were selected because I guess they thought I made a difference in your life. No one really knows. Wufei didn't even know his. Trowa's was an ex-spy. Anyhow, I'm falling off topic. Sorry." Quatre moved toward the large window in his room, but didn't open it. "Their ultimate goal wasn't just to do this though. It was . . . the running theory?" Fidgeting. "A young lady named Hilde Schbeiker is carrying Duo's and she was just in the hospital for sepsis. His mom died of sepsis. We think that? Your probably targeted to die the way our own mothers had. Just to hurt us."