Chapter 17: Mei-Lin's Scream

Middie stirred as she felt movement on her side. Gin had been resting beside her, but he was gone now. Had he gone to the bathroom? She looked around. It was empty and no one could see her face. Nothing seemed out of place, except Gin.

Then she felt him from around the side of her.

"We are going now, it's getting too risky," Gin warned her. "One of those guards approached me and questioned about you. I had no choice, I had to call for help. We are magically getting through now. Probably blackmail but I won't ask. No one's complaining either, they are getting their time saved from being in this place too." He smiled.

As they walked, she could see what he meant. Damn. She knew Gin's family had some power, but how much power? She headed back toward their shuttle, now getting the command to take off.

"Here you go," Gin insisted as he gave her something when they went inside. "Mom's helpers got you this. To make sure things went smoothly."

Middie looked at it. A veil for the face and a robe to go with it. It seemed traditional of a religion. With everything they were doing, they certainly had the means to kill this Dorothy Catalonia themselves. They want me and Gin to get our hands dirty personally.

"Now no one will suspect you of anything," Gin said. "They'll think it's for your religion. You can drop it and go back to the hoodie when we reach the colonies. You want to get dressed in it now?"

Not really. "Of course, Gin. Thank you."

"You had him and you lost him," Trowa complained. "I told you not to approach him." This? Unbelievable. Gin got warned and he apparently had some men that his mother employed to help run the business up there with him. Trowa didn't know what happened, but everyone got the okay to get out early.

No Middie. No Gin. No one there except the waiting attendants. There was no choice. He called up Cathy. He had their trail, and even if it would be tough to catch up to them now, he would find a way through. Even if they somehow got a shuttle to run straight through, they would still be blocked. No colony would allow them in, no matter what. "Cathy? I won't be making the show or supper tonight," he told her. "Not for a little while."

"Trowa?" She sounded worried of course. "You didn't get to her in time. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I am on the same path, and as long as I keep following, I will get to her." If he didn't catch up through the outside quarantine path, then he would catch up with her when they reached the colonies. "I might be gone a week."

"Trowa."

"I can't risk letting her go just because I don't want to play follow the leader."

"She might not even be pregnant. I wish there was a way to know for sure."

"I know, Cathy. I'm sorry," Trowa said. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

Hopefully, with Middie.

One Week Later

The last negative. The last of her. Wufei wouldn't be bothered by looks in his colony anymore as he walked by Mei-Lin, ready to take her home. Her last test, that last 'must make sure' test everyone wanted to perform, was negative.

She walked silently beside him. It was one thing about her. As long as he wasn't actually bothering her, she tended to be quiet. Even when he did, she was passive aggressive, but quiet. It was only when his voice rose high, that her annoyance rose to levels that made people want to tear out their hair.

Otherwise, she'd been a simple woman. She had unique needs, but as long as they were granted, easy.

He heard more commotion walking alongside her from others around them. Mei-Lin was . . . unique. She was a cross of Trowa, knowing and achieving a sense of silence and dignity while, every once in awhile, a spark of Nataku was seen. Especially when she became angry.