33 There's Six

Okay, as much as Duo owed Trowa, it was definitely Wufei he should contact first. If his story differed from hers, he'd know it was all a con. As Wufei picked up, he made it clear. "Gee, I'm breaking protocol and contacting you? It must mean it's real important. When's the last time you saw your mother, Wufei?" While he waited for the answer, he took a picture of her beside him and sent a pic in a text message at the same time as he waited. "So?"

"How is she there?!" Ah, yep, sounded correct.

"Last time you saw her, Wufei," Duo asked again.

"Around twelve. She just went missing, or so they said." He didn't seem to believe it. "She should have gone with the colony. How are you with her?"

"Well, I almost killed her," he admitted. "Honest mistake." Yeah, that language he was using said it all. This was Wufei's mom, and even though he wasn't real fond of a lot of weak people, Wufei cared for his mother. "Trowa sent me a message that he thought Crystalia left. It said Hilde's body was at her address. I was supposed to kill her, Wufei. I'm on my way to apparently her new family's schooling and work to make sure they aren't killed."

"What family? Remarried?"

Aw, it almost made him smile for a second. "I know you want to talk, but I just needed to confirm she was who she claimed. Tell Quatre and Heero, I'm going to call Trowa. You can talk to your mom later."

"Soon, Duo Maxwell!"

"Yes, soon," Duo insisted as he hung up to call Trowa.

Trowa's Car

"Duo are you sure about that?" Trowa asked anxiously as he started to drive at a faster speed. "Cathy said she had that note for at least a week."

"Crystalia didn't even know her identity as Wufei's mom, and I was hot enough under the collar that I would have killed her. There was no body, just Wufei's mother, so I'd say the circus was compromised. They probably didn't want to try anything until you dropped your guard."

"If they knew about Catherine, and I just visited her?" Did they tag him then?

"Welcome to the 'they screwed you over' club," Duo said to him. "Get back as fast as you can and tell the others. Each of the women were microchipped by her, RTL might have that now."

Trowa had been a member of that club for way too long! Trowa hung up and drove even faster to get back. He could not risk them getting Middie back.

Duo was headed straight for the local elementary school. He had her call the school for an emergency, someone just died in the family. Her kids should be ready as soon as they got there. Going into an elementary school, what a weird thing. Something he never did once himself, but he had to make sure she didn't run off.

This thing was dangerous, and even now she seemed to get what was at risk as he parked. He got out with her and they headed inside. Her voice was definitely nervous at the office and he did his best to hide his appearance. He didn't look like someone that belonged in that place.

When her kids came to her, she wrapped them in the biggest mom hug he'd ever seen. She signed them out while they just stared at Duo for a few seconds, and then they started to bail.

"Back seat," she instructed them. "We are picking up your father."

"What's the emergency?" her son asked. "Who is this guy who picked us up? An uncle we don't know?"

Heh. "Definitely not Uncle Duo. Next location." He headed for her husband's work. This one would probably be more dangerous, that group would have a harder time against kids than taking out one guy. "After this, you tell your family, your husband takes his car with them, and you are coming with me to find Hilde."