42 Hilde Saved

Duo talked to McMillan briefly before heading over. Apparently, the women had left not too long ago. Now was their chance to get in there and get her. Duo had them sneak from the house instead of directly to the hangar. There was less chance someone would be watching that way as well.

When he went in, he had no idea what to think. "Deathscythe?" He walked toward his very old gundam. "You come back from hell just to say hello?" No, that couldn't be right, this was one of the old designs. "This was the design used for when we were on Earth." That gundam was destroyed by Trowa.

Brand new, tip-top shape. "Hilde, you in there?!" He yelled out her name, but he didn't hear a response. He went toward a new little section. Two teleprompters. He activated one. "Hilde!" There she was. "Hilde, where are you?"

"You aren't real until 1800. 1800. Until then, not real. Not real."

"Hilde." Those eyes. That expression. "What the hell did they do to you? That's the zero system affecting you, isn't it? Where are you? Hilde?" He wasn't getting any better of a response, so he headed toward Deathscythe. On the screen, it was clear to see she was inside a mobile suit. "Hilde!"

"Not real. Not real." He could hear her inside of it.

He tried to open it up, but it was stuck. "Hilde, I'm going to figure out how to get you out." He heard her mutters of 'not real' over again. Not until 1800.

Oh no, if there was one thing they messed up on, it was picking his brand of mobile suit. He worked on Deathscythe for ages. He got off Deathscythe and headed straight to the hangar program area. He got into the familiar programs he used to work with all the time. Not long, it wouldn't take long.

"Geez, you can really burn those keys," McMillan said as he watched him put in everything he needed to get into the basic features. If Duo hadn't been in such a hurry he would have made a joke about how he could pop a soda can with it all, but he wasn't in a good mood. He was just moving as fast as possible to get into the root files, find what they changed, and break it so he could get her out of there. "Is it gonna be safe to do that? What if they are strapped like an explosive or something?"

Self destruct. "Good call." He opened up another window, he had such a one-track mind, it'd be good to make sure nothing like that was on Deathscythe. It wouldn't take more than 5-8 seconds. "Not an automatic." What was this though? There was something that could trigger it. A program. They must have downloaded a program into the computer.

He isolated the program and froze it, so he could work around it. There, that was simple. Now, he went back to the beginning so he could pop it open. "Bingo."

He ran straight over, hearing it pop open. In her head space with the zero system, he knew she would-

There was a small amount of hurt as he caught most of her falling to the floor, but it was way worth it. "Hilde." He hugged her head as her whole body was shaking in his arms. "Real, Hilde. You're safe now."

"It isn't 1800," she moaned.

Oh, Hilde. Seeing her like this wasn't easy to bear. He stroked her hair. "Hilde-Babe, it'll be alright. It's just the zero system, just a program. You are out of it now. It'll be okay." Oh god, look at her arm. Branded with the word soldier.

"I want you to be real so bad, but you never are." She reached out toward him. "I don't want to kill you."

"You won't."

"I don't want to die."

"You won't." That zero system messed her up something awful. How did Heero and Zechs ever conquer it? He started to move around to get up with her. McMillan was on watch, but getting her out of there quick was the best idea.