32 Someone Always Suffers

Trowa didn't know what to say as he headed back. He called up Heero, knowing that he would have to make this call. Trowa just didn't want to call up Quatre and tell him. "Heero."

"Trowa. Is this important, Relena's taking a shower right now."

"Heero, you know I hate that!"

"I'm not supposed to have calls, it's embarrassing, and it'll distract me from watching her, so this has to be important."

Heero was a unique one, how did he get Relena to agree to that? "Duo is going to start killing people from Revenge of the Lost. He's going after Hilde's body. He became the God of Death again."

"Hilde Schbeiker's body?"

"I'm afraid so," Trowa said. "Revenge of the Lost pushed on his weak spot."

"Sepsis?"

"I don't know. Can you tell the others?" Trowa asked.

"Hn. Yeah, I will."

An immediate hang up. With such a subject, Heero would do that.

Duo snuck into the address. It was an actual suburban neighborhood. There was no hidden basement, just a basement. He searched the place, and found out it belonged to two kids, boy and girl in elementary school, some guy that worked in an office, and a simple mom.

Yeah, right. He had to calm down though because he hadn't found Hilde's body like Trowa's mother wrote about yet. When he heard the woman come home, he hid out to make sure she was unaware of his presence. She just started chopping vegetables and boiling water.

If he were in a better mood, he'd probably give some kind of tease, but instead he just took the safety off his gun. The way she acted, she knew that sound. Yeah, she was definitely someone.

She turned around and looked at him. "Oh. I didn't expect you."

The way she said that didn't sound right. "Who were you expecting to be holding a gun on you?"

"Revenge of the Lost," she said. "Shouldn't . . . you be after them instead?"

Okay. This woman's face? Yeah, something was way off. "You aren't part of Revenge of the Lost?" he asked.

"No. I quit, some time ago," she said. "I ran. I thought I ran far enough with my family. How did you find me?"

Interesting, a deserter was who Crystalia led him to? "An address left behind that claims you have the body of Hilde Schbeiker." Right. He held his gun on her closer. "Any idea why it'd say that?"

"Oh, Crystalia." She was definitely not happy. "She left me with this? Damn her." She turned around and stirred her vegetables again. She put her spatula back down. "I don't know everything. I mainly worked in helping as a burner, housing people. I wanted to do something after having to leave."

Having to leave? "Leave from where?"

She wiped something from her eye. Maybe a tear. "Something happened with my husband. My clan wouldn't let me stay with just my son. It was a strong clan, and a mother alone couldn't raise the next boy in line."

Clan? Hang on, this lady looked a whole lot like . . . "What was the name of your boy?"

"I think you know," she said. "There is a reason I left. Since I lost not only my husband, but a son just due to being . . . weak," she said softly. "They helped me. I did my best for Support of the Loss, but when they recognized my skill, they had me become a burner. Someone who helps others that can't be strong find a way to escape until RTL solved it."