47 | GHOSTS OF THE PAST

"Corvis...." Sara muttered out of concern. Her heart dropped the moment she saw Corvis collapsing onto the floor, the Draco Brace still in his hands. His head was now resting on her lap as she gently placed her hands on his cheek.

She looked up and scowled at the elders.

"Cease the worry child," the man spoke gently.

"No harm will be done to the Blood of Drake," the woman continued.

"Then why is he like this?" Sara shot back.

Finally, the man opened his eyes. "It's to see whether or not the artifact will accept him,"

"Accept him?

"One does not simply wield the artifact like a blind Mankey. It's wielder chooses the artifact, and the artifact will choose it's wielder, it is never a one sided relationship," the man explained.

"So we ask you to be patient, as the Blood of Drake shall undergo the trial,"

A feeling of dread filled her. "What if...what if he doesn't pass the trial?"

The woman's face darkened. "Then he won't wake up. This is punishment for those who are unworthy to wield the artifact. The trial will trap his mind,"

Horror got the best of her. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

"Patience child. We only ask that you wait and see the outcome,"

Sara bit her lip and looked down on Corvis' face. It looked so peaceful, especially with his mouth slightly open. Her lips trembled as anxiety filled her. Without knowing, she slowly bent her head down and touched her forehead with his as tears slowly poured out.

"Please...." She croaked. "Come back,"

-----

"Slam down harder! You can do it Treecko!" a black haired boy yelled as he pumped his fists into the air. As he did, the pokemon standing in front of him, a more ancient looking Treecko, nodded as it jumped into the air and did a flip, readying it's large tail.

In front of the black haired boy, stood a red hair boy with a determined expression on his face. He quickly yelled. "Jump back and high!"

A Torchic, one with longer feathers and a sharper beak, stood it's ground as the Treecko got nearer and nearer and just as it was about to strike, it jumped back with it's short legs, high into the air, narrowly avoiding the attack.

"And now fire your Ember!" It puffed it's chest and let out small burst of flames at the Treecko. The gecko pokemon tried blocking it with it's arms but was pushed back by the super effective move.

"Treecko!"

"Slash it!" the boy followed up, slashing through the air with his hand.

Mimicking it's trainer, the Torchic's talons glowed as it quickly striked the Treecko, knocking the gecko pokemon out.

"Treecko!" the black haired boy ran to his pokemon as the Torchic landed and puffed it's chest out with pride.

"Nice job Torchic!" The red haired boy ran up to his pokemon.

"Are you alright?"

The Treecko slowly opened it's eyes.

"Tree...ko..."

"Better try harder next time Drake!" the red hair boy gave a toothy grin.

"I need more training, You're always beating me Leo," Drake smiled a bit. "I should get more help from Chief Rory,"