chapter 47

Two weeks had passed and I was slowly rebuilding myself. Emphasis on slowly. I was still a pretty big mess. The time had dragged on slowly in a painful mix of pressing charges and physically recovering. All whilst actually trying to stay on top of school work. But this time, I wasn't doing it by myself. 

Almost immediately after I'd decided to press charges I had called Rebecca.

She'd once offered me help and I was going to take her up on her offer.

I'd spent pretty much the entire night compiling evidence against Mark, from my records of hospitalisation to photos of my injuries and the texts Mark had sent me since I left his apartment. I'd even made a timeline as well and a statement of what had happened.

"Violet," Rebecca had greeted, as I opened the door.

I gave her a tight smile, stepping aside to let her in. Hayden was already seated at the small dining table.

"Thank you for coming," I smiled. I lowered myself gently into the seat beside Hayden, the movement pulling slightly on my ribs. Rebecca's eyes clocked my wince and her brow pinched. The same way they had when she'd noticed the bruise on my cheek.

"Of course," she said. Like always she was a picture of elegance. It was a bit off putting seeing her in my messy apartment even though I had forced Hayden to clean it a bit before she came.

I cleared my throat, "a couple days ago I was physically assaulted. I'd like to press charges against the person."

Rebecca nodded slowly, "I can connect you with a lawyer."

"Thank you."

"Do you have sufficient evidence?"

I nodded, "I think so."

She raised a brow, "you think?"

"I know," I said more firmly this time.

She nodded. "May I ask who assaulted you?"

"Mark Johnson," I said, forcing my voice to remain strong and steady. Hayden's hand rubbed my thigh reassuringly. 

Rebecca's features softened and she reached her hand across, placing it over mine. "I suspected. You must report it to Dave." Her eyes flickered to Hayden, her brow raising, "you're Amanda's boy."

He nodded, "I am."

She tilted her head, "your relation to Violet?"

"Boyfriend."

Rebecca hummed, "he may be more believing with your word."

Hayden gave a dry laugh, "he doesn't exactly like me."

I frowned, "you think he won't believe me?"

"I believe Mark is a powerful and respected person with a highly influential family. Dave only cares for profit or whatever can advance him in his career. As long as your evidence is enough and you frame your report in a way that is disadvantageous to him, he will support you."

My mouth dropped. I knew Rebecca wasn't a massive fan of Dave but she'd never spoken so bluntly about it.

"Of course," she continued, "I will support you."

"Thank you," I choked.

"I understand you had a relationship with Mark?" she asked. 

I nodded, "yes." My throat tightened but I spoke the words anyway, "this isn't the first incidence."

She gave me a sad look, "unfortunately my dear, the statute of limitation for physical assault is six months." She held my gaze, "however, the statute of limitations for domestic violence is two years."