10

SUDDENLY, THE CRIES of someone boomed in the place which made both Kade and Alec exchange look. They turned their heads to find Clary  who was crying and Jace who was behind her.

"What the fuck happened?" Kade asked at the same time as Alec did, "what did you find out?"

Jace was silent for a while before he gave the answer, "Valentine is Clary’s father."

"Wait a minute." Alec pursed his lips in a thin line, "You’re telling me this girl shows up out of nowhere and she's Valentine’s daughter? Did it occur to you that she might be a spy? This might be part of her plan?

"That’s enough, Alec." Jace said, clenching his jaw.

"Do you think I planned for my mom to get kidnapped?" Clary snapped, looking at Alec angrily, "Or… or for Dot to be taken? Or to have a giant sword dangle over my head and find out that my father is one of the most dangerous people in the world? Really?" As if realising that her best friend was not there, she looked around, "Where’s Simon?"

Just then Izzy joined them and ClRy looked at her, "Where’s Simon?"

"I told him to stay in the van." Izzy's tone was apologetic, "I’ve searched everywhere."

"He’s gone?" Clary asked making Izzy sigh as she repeated, "I can’t find him."

"You were supposed to protect him!" Clary snapped at Izzy who stayed quiet, guilt enveloping her.

"Hey, watch it." Kade clenched his jaw, shooting a glare to Clary, "or Valentine will be the least of your worries."

"You're always going on threatening people!" Clary exclaimed at the older boy who raised his brows at her as she continued, "honestly you sound more dangerous than Valentine. Why doesn't the so called Clave do anything against you? And why don't you guys—" she looked at Jace and Alec "— do anything about it?"

Kade couldn't help but scoff at that, "listen here, little girl, you're new in this whole thing so I'm gonna let this slide. But if anywhere in the future, you speak to me in that way again, I will not be held responsible for my actions." He then walked away without letting her say anything else. Isabelle sighed before going after him.

Clary looked at Jace who was quiet in disbelief. "He... He did it again!"

"That's because he can." Alec refrained himself from rolling his eyes at the redhead, "Kade holds authority in this whole thing."

"Clary, you do not go against him or disrespect him, okay?" Jace looked at her seriously, "he can have you deruned or even killed with a snap of his fingers and nobody would be able to say anything because he is that powerful."

Clary's eyes widened and she nodded. She would be lying if she said she wasn't scared. He held that much power? Who the hell was he? Then she remembered her best friend which was missing, "Simon!" She ran outside, "Simon!"

Jace groaned, "Ugh, these mundanes are killing me." They ran outside and saw Simon's van's door was wide open. Isabelle and Kade were already there, not talking but standing in silence. The younger Lightwood knew better than talking to Kade when he was pissed.

"Simon? No. Simon!" Clary shouted, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

"Is that the mundane’s name?" Someone asked making them look in the direction.

Kade's eyes fell on a very familiar dude and a very familiar woman.

"I’m afraid Simon’s coming with us." Raphael said making Clary shout, "No! No, he’s not a part of this."

"And it’ll be my pleasure to kill you unless you return him." Jace added making Alec stop him, "Careful. We’d be violating the Accords."

"I’m afraid your sidekick’s quite right." Raphael smirked, "the Night Children have broken no laws. We’re negotiating."

"Get to the negotiation part," Kade demanded making him smile, "The mundane, unharmed, in exchange for the Mortal Cup. And the clock is ticking. Tick-tock, people."

"Clary!" Simon shouted, as they began vamp-speeding away.

"Simon...no!" Clary shouted back as she kept on screaming, "Simon! Simon! Simon! Sim—"

"— God damn it," Kade cut her off, annoyance and anger clear in his tone, "shouting his name repeatedly won't bring him back."

"He's right," Jace agreed, "we need to go back to the institute and figure something out."