20

JACE AND KADE WERE TRAINING. The blonde attempted to punch Kade who grabbed his fist and twisted his arm behind his back before kicking him in the back of his knees, making him fall on the ground.

Jace immediately stood up and got into a fighting stance again. This time Kade was the one who made the first move. He made it seem like he was about to punch Jace in the stomach but he didnt. Instead, he hit him in the crook of his neck, hard but not hard enough to injure him.

Jace groaned and Kade used his moment of weakness to his advantage, swiping his legs under Jace's own which made him lose his balance and fall on his back.

The blonde knocked his hand three times on the mat, announcing surrender which made Kade scoff as he helped the blonde up. "This was the most pathetic fight I've ever done. You sucked today, it's annoying." He ran a hand through his dark brown hair, "you're distracted."

Jace rolled his eyes, "why makes you say that?"

"You usually at least manage to to punch me once everything we've fought." Kade pointed out, opening his bottle of water, "but this time? You didn't. Not even one hit."

"It's just that..." Jace sighed, "I have so many things on my mind right now—"

"— Correction," Kade cut in, "one thing; Clary."

"That's not true," Jace defended but when Kade shot him a look, he lowered his head, "yeah, okay maybe you're right."

"Well I—" he was cut off when his eyes fell on a familiar woman who entered the training room followed by Isabelle and Clary.

"Maryse, hey!" While Jace hugged the older woman, Kade's eyes flickered who Isabelle who instantly looked away as she was shamelessly staring at him. Knowing she was caught, she looked back at him and saw him giving her a small smirk. They hadn't really talked since what transpired between them last night.

"Kade," Maryse broke the hug from Jace and turned to Kade. She was half-expecting him to hug her as well but he didn't. She sighed, knowing that he wasn't really a big fan of her since he disliked the way she treated Isabelle. But he respected her no less and it was reciprocated.

"Maryse," He nodded at her in acknowledgement just as Jace decided to ask, "where's Max?"

"No Max," Isabelle replied, walking towards them, "just mom and her hair on fire."

"I love how Shadowhunters share," Clary cut in, "A hidden brother, and a secret country, and a private Portal."

"Mother," Alec joined them, briefly hugging his mother, "welcome back. We didn’t expect you."

"You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not," Maryse said as she pulled back making Alec look at the others then back at her, "I am. We are."

"We’ll talk about the Institute later," Maryse sighed, "right now, we have a bigger problem. The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won’t explain why," she began circling the group as she spoke, "my guess is they’re still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk."

"I have Seelie friends," Isabelle quipped in making Maryse shoot her a judgemental look, "yes, I know about your friends. Isabelle." She approached her as she continued to speak, "we stay separate from the Downworld for good reasons. The wrong move, the wrong word. Do you think there is such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him— them— something they shouldn’t know. Maybe you trod on one of their ridiculous customs without knowing it."

Kade rolled his tongue over his teeth before biting his lip at her words. "So what, you're blaming her for all this? For having a friend in the downworld?"

"When someone upsets the natural order, everything falls apart." Maryse replied calmly earning a confused look from the redhead, "Natural order? What are you saying?"

"I can help," Isabelle suggested, "I know how to talk to Seelies."

"She’s right," Alec supported, "she can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows. I could go with her if you want."

"I’d rather Jace goes along this time," Maryse looked at Alec, "you stay with the Fairchild girl. I want her under control. She’s caused enough trouble already."

"Maybe that’s because I wasn’t even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago!" Clary exclaimed making the older Lightwood look at her, "and what an exciting few days it has been. The Clave counts on Kade and us, Lightwoods to maintain order here."

"You don’t need to tell me that," Alec spoke up, "if the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle."

"You’re all so eager to do what you would prefer," Maryse said, "t’s time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it’s about what must be done. I have given you your assignments, now carry them out."

"Wait what about Kade?" Clary asked, furrowing her brows at Maryse, "what does he get to do?"

"Whatever he wants," Maryse replied, "I might have raised him as one of my own but that doesn't mean I get to order him around. He's still of a higher status than us." She turned to Jace and Isabelle, "you and you, with me, now."

"Wait," Kade made Maryse stop and look at him questioningly as he said, "I'm coming as well."

"Well, of course." Maryse shot him a tight-lipped smile before motioning for him to follow which he did. As he followed the older lightwood, Isabelle slowed her steps and began walking beside Kade as she whispered just so he would hear, "why are you coming?"

"Why not?" He whispered back earning a look from her making him sigh, "well, for one, you're going. And secondly, I happen to have amazing interrogation skills."

"Seelies can't lie," she pointed out, "I'm sure your interrogation skills will be little to not efficient." He threw an arm around her shoulder and she tried not to seem affected by the simple action. "We'll see about that."