29

CLARY AND JACE EXITED the police station and saw Kade, Alec and Isabelle standing outside.

"Did you get it?" Alec asked to which Clary replied, "Theoretically."

"Theoretically?" Alec repeated, raising his brows in confusion.

"Is that a yes or a no?" Kade asked, running out of patience. He knew that they needed to get out of there as fast as possible.

Clary sighed, "yeah. I found the card. I just have to figure out how I reached into my notebook before. It’s… It’s not an exact science."

"Can’t you just pull the Cup out?"

"I can, theoretically. I just—" Clary paused, looking at the older Lightwood, "it’s not as easy as it looks, Alec."

"Listen, you two can discuss theory as much as you want when we get back to the Institute." Jace spoke, "But right now, considering we just stole from the cops, I suggest we get home."

"Guys…" Isabelle's necklace began pulsing, "I think the mundanes might be the least of our worries."

"At least we know the demon necklace works." Alec stated as Kade turned to Isabelle and glanced at the necklace which was emitting a light glow.

"Never a dull day." Jace muttered, "Let’s go."

The Shadowhunters started walking away from the station, leaving Clary who was walking slow, "Guys, slow down—" she then bumped into an old lady, "oh, I am so sorry."

The lady dropped her bag and Clary went to pick it up. Suddenly, the lady snarled at her, her mouth transforming into one similar of a demon's. Jace was quick to act as he neared the woman, "grandma." He then acted like he was about to hug her when he planted his blade into the demon's stomach, killing him.

"What the hell?" Clary gasped, earning a smirk from Jace, "language. Not in front of Grandma."

"Your grandma, yeah, I see the similarity." Kade joked earning a chuckle from the blonde. "Seems like she bought friends, Jace." The shadowhunters turned to look in the same direction where Kade was looking to find a policeman getting out of his car.

"How can you tell?" Clary asked the others, furrowing her brows in confusion, "I can’t see anything."

"Behind us."

"I…" Clary sighed, trying to look at them, hoping that it would work and she would see it, "I still can’t see them." More policemen arrived with their eyes glowing appeared in front of them.

"Okay, there’s too many people." Clary said making Alec glance at her, "I don’t say this often, but I agree with Clary. We gotta get outta here."

Kade wrapped a hand around Isabelle's wrist as he began dragging her away from the police station, towards where he could see an escape. "This way, guys." He called out, walking down the bunch of stairs as they stopped in front of a room for electrics.

Clary stared at the door, "what’s the Unlock rune again?"

Jace kicked against the door and banged open, "Open sesame. Go."

They all entered the room while Alec deglamoured his bow and arrows and prepared for attacks, letting the others go past him as he stayed behind. However, both Jace and Kade stopped. The latter letting go of Isabelle's wrist as he did so.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Jace asked as his steps faltered. Alec turned to face his parabatais, "holding them off. Take Clary back to the Institute."

"No, are you kidding?" Kade shook his head, "if you’re staying, I’m staying."

"We fight together," Jace added, nodding in agreement to what Kade said.

"Don’t be stupid." Alec sighed, "if the demons get the Cup, we’re dead anyways."

"I'll stay with Alec," Kade suggested as he went to stand beside Alec and looked at Jace, "you go back with the girls."

"I can stay too then—" Isabelle was quickly cut off by Kade, "— fuck no. You're going back with the others. Alec and I got this."

Isabelle bit her lip, nodding. She knew they were good— she knew they weren't going to get hurt because they were two of the bests and that thought relieved her. Just as she was about to say something, Clary cut in, "look, I  know you guys are having a moment, okay? But we really have to go."

"Don’t worry," Isabelle spoke, "It’s not like this is the first time they have saved your life. I doubt it’d be the last."

Jace sighed before leaving with Isabelle and Clary. Alec looked down at Kade who gave him a smirk, "ready?"

"Always," Alec readied his bow just as demons launched themselves at the two boys who easily got rid of them. The two fought them off effortlessly, their actions mirroring each other perfectly. They had been fighting side by side for as long as they could remember. 

Alec was about to shoot another demon when Kade stopped him by placing a hand on his bow, lowering it at the sight of Luke.

"Kade?" Luke questioned as he spotted the familiar face."

"Luke, how's the new rank treating you?" Kade asked making Luke chuckle, "you have no idea. Hey, where's Clary?"

"Around," he shrugged as Alec looked at the two, "let's go."

The three set off to look for the others. They found Clary standing with the cup in her hands and demon ashes on the ground in front of her.

"Clary!" Luke called out making the redhead look at them warily, pointing her blade at them, "how do I know you’re Luke?"

"I got you spray paint for your birthday." Luke replied and Clary let her guard down as Luke asked, "what happened?"

"Uh, demons. Long story. Um… Where’d you come from?" Clary questioned earning a sigh from Luke, "Jail. I ran into Kade and Alec. Said you might be down here. Thought you might need some help."

"Apparently not." Alec eyed the disappearing demon ash, "Looks like she took care of it."

"Shouldn’t we get going or something? More demons could be coming, right?" Clary asked to which Luke assured, "Oh, don’t worry about it. I got the back on the lookout. If there’s any other demons, we’ll take care of them."

"Look at you, leader of the pack." Clary said with a smirk which Luke mirrored, " Well, you know, it has its perks."

"Shall we?"

"Yeah, right." The three then walked out of the place.