41

"WHAT HAPPENED?" Isabelle asked as Alec walked inside the room, "are you and Jace okay?"

"No. Our parabatai bond, it's just so weak. He's like a ghost."

"Alec, what did you do?" Isabelle questioned with a sigh, glancing at Kade with a questioning look which he ignored.

"Lydia and I thought we could stop the trial if we gave the Cup to the Clave." Alec explained making Isabelle look at him, "Lydia helped you?"

"It doesn't matter." He sighed, "she has no choice but to go through with the trial now."

Izzy smiled, "It's okay, big brother. I know you tried."

"I'm sorry," Alec's tone was genuinely apologetic as he glanced at Kade who sighed. "Gotta prepare her for the trial then."

**

They went to the institute's office where the two boys were preparing the younger Lightwood for the trial.

"All I know is, we gotta get you out of here." Alec spoke, "all right, who do we know in Idris?"

"The only people who care are Mom and Dad. But they're under suspicion themselves." Isabelle replied as Alec asked, "What about Lydia?"

"Lydia?" Isabelle repeated to which Alec nodded, "Yeah."

"Why do you keep going there? She is prosecuting us. You said she had no choice."

"She doesn't." Alec stated.

"Everyone has a choice, Alec." Isabelle said, "I made mine. Let me just get through this without losing my self-respect."

"Look, I know you don't wanna believe this, but Lydia said she would help if we can give her a way to do it. Maybe I can get her to delay the trial."

"Why?" Isabelle shot him a look, "so I can sit here, playing computer solitaire, while they find something else to blame me for?"

"She's kinda right," Kade muttered, "they're using this whole trial thing to get to the cup."

"So let me buy some time to find it. Hey, Jace and Clary—" Alec was cut off by Isabelle, "— disappeared through a door to God knows where. You said they're lost forever. And so is the Cup."

"What if I was wrong? I can't find Jace because I weakened our bond, but that doesn't mean he can't be found, or that he can't find us. We need more time."

"You're grasping at straws now?" Isabelle questioned making Alec sigh, "Izzy, listen. I'm your big brother. Please, let me help you for once." The girl reluctantly nodded with a sigh earning a small smile from Alec before he walked out of the office.

Kade turned to Isabelle who walked towards him and wrapped her arms around his waist, sighing into his chest while he hugged her back. "We got this," he reassured, "don't worry. I'll give Alec a chance to fix this— if it doesn't work, then we'll do things my way."

"Kade—" she was interrupted by him. His voice was low as he spoke, "no, I said what I had to. You did your part now it's my turn so you're gonna shut the fuck up and let me get you out of this mess."

She chuckled at his words and nodded before placing her lips against his just as his phone vibrated.

He took it out and glanced at the text then looked up at her apologetically, "I gotta go do something real quick. Be right back." He pecked her lips one more time then walked out of the room, heading straight in the hallway where he saw Imogen Herondale talking to Lydia and Alec.

"I understand you've cooked up some kind of a marriage with," Imogen nodded in Alec's direction, "I can't imagine what's in your mind."

"It's a suitable marriage for both of us." Lydia said to which Imogen replied, "well, I won't dispute that right now. As long as it doesn't interfere with your case against his sister."

"You have my assurance."

"I need your word, Branwell, not flaccid reassurance," Imogen scoffed, "what we are seeing is the same pattern Valentine showed before the Uprising. Bending of the Law, wanton defiance of Clave order."

"Ma'am, I don't honestly believe Valentine was involved in the Seelie escape."

"Spare me your honest belief." Imogen replied, "everything's out of control. We were fools to believe Valentine was dead. Now his daughter has the Cup, and he's out there somewhere. I won't have it."

"I'm sorry, Inquisitor." Lydia sighed as Imogen refrain herself from scoffing, "Why are you sorry? You didn't steal the Cup. Just do your job. Be efficient, be competent, be useful to the Clave. We'll begin this evening." Her eyes landed on Kade who was standing there, listening to the conversation.

"Ah, Kade," Imogen approached him, "finally." She then surprised him by wrapping her arms around him. "How I missed you."

"Missed you too," Kade muttered as she pulled back, eyeing him with a frown, "it seems like your... girlfriend has gone against the Clave."

"She did what she thought was right," Kade defended, "it's not that bad."

"She helped free potential enemy, Kade," Imogen sighed, placing a hand on his shoulder, "and she's a Lightwood. With her parents' history and all, you know how bad that looks."

"She's not getting stripped of her runes or banished," Kade spoke which came more like an order, "okay?"

"Kade—" Imogen sighed, giving in, "— all right, fine. But for the sake of the other Shadowhunters, I need to put on a show and I need the cup."

"If you play your cards right," Kade mused, "you'll get the cup. The whole thing needs to be faked though, got it?"

"Only because I actually love you," Imogen mumbled, rolling her eyes at Kade who couldn't help but smile. "It's kinda hard not to."