12

KADE, IZZY, ALEC, JACE AND CLARY arrived with the van at the graveyard to pick up weapons for the mission.

"Whose grave is it?" Alec asked, looking around.

"Mary Milligan, born January 10th, 1802. Died January 10th, 1878." Isabelle replied while looking at her phone.

"All right, Alec, Kade, let’s go." Jace said as Clary stopped them, "Wait, what are we looking for?"

"Cache of weapons." Isabelle replied as Alec added, "Stashed here with Mrs. Milligan."

"Why are there Shadowhunter weapons in a churchyard?" The redhead asked to which Isabelle replied, "Because all of the ancient religions recognize demons. Or at least they used to."

"They forgot about the thread because we’ve been here to protect them." Alec scoffed, "Typical mundane failure of imagination."

"Are you saying we did too good a job? You just can’t let up, can you?" Isabelle asked, a hint of annoyance as well as playfulness in her tone.

"You know what?" Jace looked at Alec, "Alec, why don’t you go check out by the angel?" He then looked at Clary, "We couldn’t gear up at the Institute, but we know our ancestors left a cache around here someplace. We’ll find it."

Kade ignored the others and turned to Isabelle, "going somewhere?"

"I need to find out how to get inside the vampires' lair," She responded, avoiding his intense stare as he knew damn well from who she was going to find that out.

"Have fun," was all what he said before he walked away. Izzy let out a sigh before she turned around and walked away as well.

Kade walked over to where Jace and Alec were talking just in time to hear Alec say, "damn it, Jace, just… think this through. You don’t even like this guy. This isn’t about the mundane, this is about Clary. What, are you so desperate to get laid that you’ll risk killing us?"

Jace blinked, taken aback by what he said, "wow, um, there’s so much in that that was wrong, I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear it."

Alec grabbed Jace before he could walk away, "that’s the problem. You’re not listening. Not to this or anything else Kade or I've said tonight. You don’t even know this girl. Why do you trust her?"

"For real," Kade cut in, glancing at Clary as he said to the boys, "she could be playing pretend right now."

Jace sighed at his two friends, "Is this about her being Valentine’s daughter? Haven’t we been through this? Guys, look at me. You can trust her, or not. I don’t care. That’s not my business. But if you don’t trust me—"

"—Jace! Kade! Alec!" The blonde was cut off by Clary who shouted, "I think I found it! Mary Milligan!"

Clary dusted off the gravestone, "beloved servant? Who wants that on a headstone?"

"Someone who is in service to a cause greater than themselves." Alec replied as Jace added, "at least she is now. Abracadabra."

"Wait, you people actually say that?" Clary asked making the three Shadowhunters look at her.

Kade shot her a blank look, "no."

"Oh," the redhead looked away, clearly intimidated by the older guy.

"No, Clary, we don't." Jace spoke as he traced the angelic rune on the grave with his stele. The boys opened up the grave, revealing swords and steles.

"Wow." Clary eyed the weapons, "Where's Mrs. Milligan?"

Clary picked up a blade making Alec frown, "Don't touch that. You don't know how to use it."

"What, like at Pandemonium when I killed that demon?" The redhead flaunted making Alec clench his jaw, "You didn't kill—"

"Alec." Jace cut him off, "I'm gonna show her the right way to use it. Do you guys see what you need in here?"

"No. There's no bow here. I need one. I have to rune some arrows. That's back at the Institute. I gotta go." Alec then looked at Kade, "what about you?"

"I'm fine with literally any weapons." He shrugged, "but I'll come with you because I don't want to watch live porn."

"Shut up," Jace cleared his throat, "how are you two gonna get back in the Institute?" Jace questioned looking curiously at the two.

"Go in the back." Alec replied, "Won't bother if it's just us."

"Okay, good." Jace nodded, "Go. I can finish up here."

Alec hesitated and turned around back to Jace, "Hey... I understand what we need to do. And I trust you, parabatai, but don't even doubt me. No matter what I said."

"Same. I'd die if you doubt me." Kade said in a bored tone making Jace's lips twitch up at his clear lack of interest.

"It's already forgotten." Jace assured as the three do their secret handshake, "I'll see you guys at dawn."

"At dawn." Kade confirmed, nodding at each other before they left.