Part 27 - A traumatic past

Her voice sounded more like a whisper when his name slipped out of her lips, which at once broke his trance. He opened his eyes and slowly shoved his body away from her; feeling a little embarassed. He lowered his head.

Neil: I... I am sorry..

Mini: Sorry for what? For hugging me? Phir toh mujhe bhi sorry bhi bolna chahiye.

Neil: Main..main darr gaya tha Mini..

Mini: Shh.. it's okay.. main theek hoon ab Neil. It was just... woh door lock ho gaya tha and I panicked but I'm all okay now... Look at me... I'm absolutely fine.. Chalo, let's go home.. and give me the keys. I will drive.

Neil: Nahi.. main.. main drive karta hoon naa.

Mini: No!

She insisted and he gave in. They reached home within a few minutes.

At night, Mini was in the room, lost in her own thoughts when Neil knocked on the door which was half opened. Her trance broke and she looked at him with swollen eyes.

"I just.. came to check on you. You're fine naa?," he asked, looking concerned.

"Yeah. I.. I am good." She replied with a meek smile. After a short pause, when he didn't reply but seemed to say something, Mini asked further, "Kuch.. kehna chahte ho?'

Neil: A.. nahi.. main... main yeh.. apna charger lene aaya tha.. I.. should go. Good night.

He was leaving when Mini stopped him.

Mini: Neil..

Neil: Hmm?

Mini: Thodi der yahin nahi ruk sakte kya? I just.. need a friend.

He blinked his eyes and comfortably sat in front of her..

Mini: Thanks. Bas aise hi thodi der sath baithe raho. Achha lagta hai.

Neil: Bolo. I'm listening.

She chuckled slightly.

Mini: Kya bolu?

Neil: Wahi jo tum kehna chahti ho.

She took a deep breath and started speaking.

Mini: Main... Twelfth ke baad graduation ke liye Mumbai chali gayi thi, Preet bhi thi sath. Humare courses alag the, subjects alag the but she was the only best friend I had back then and even now, we've been quite close since childhood. We used to spend time together, in fact, mere zyada friends nahi the college mein isliye Preet aur uske friends ke sath hi main hang out karti thi. Preet aur main ek hi room bhi share karte the... Neil... I.. I was in my second year when.. (she started breathing heavily. Neil moved a little forward and held her hands. She calmed a bit) Mera ek dost tha.. in fact, hum dono ka school friend tha woh... Akash ka naam tha uska. Par phir uske father ka transfer ho gaya aur usne shayad 9th ke baad school chhod diya tha. Uske baad koi contact hi nahi hua humara. Par kisey pata tha ki hum dobara milenge! Usne beech semester mein college join kiya tha.. We were in the same class. I was so happy that I met an old friend. We started talking, got in touch with each other again and eventually started liking each other.

His grip on her hand loosened.

Mini: We liked spending time with each other. Preet jab classes mein busy hoti thi toh main Akash ke sath hi rehti thi. Achha lagta tha jab woh sath hota tha.. Par pata nahi Neil, kab woh chahat pyaar mein badal gayi.. I was madly in love with him. Yes, I loved him par.. woh ek din.. that day, that one night.. changed my entire life!

Neil: K.. kya hua tha aisa?

Mini: Preet ke exams chal rahe the isliye woh apni ek friend ke ghar group studies ke liye gayi huyi thi. Us raat... (She took a sigh of despair) main.. main akeli thi jab...

A few years ago..

Mini was about to retire to bed when the doorbell rang. She opened the door to Akash. He seemed to be in a drunken state.

Mini: Akash? Tum iss wakt.. yahan kya kar rahe ho?

Akash: Hi Mini. I was... missing you..

He was about to enter but lost his balance and stumbled on his feet. Mini held him by his arms.

Mini: Are you drunk!?

He smirked and used his forefinger and a thumb to indicate that he had drunk a little. He came close to her and was going to kiss her cheeks but she pushed him back.

Mini: Behave yourself! You're not in your senses, Akash. Jao abhi yahan se.

Akash: Par Mini.. main.. main kahan jaunga iss waqt? Main aaj raat yahin ruk jata hoon. Tumhare sath.

He entered inside while Mini just looked on. He sat on the bed.

Akash: Nice room. Par yeh lights kyun itni dim hain?

Mini: What are you doing Akash? Please jao abhi. Preet bhi nahi hai yahan. Tum jao yahan se.

Akash: Yeh toh achhi baat hai naa.. ki Preet yahan nahi hai. We'll get some privacy, sweetheart.

He held her wrist and pulled her close to him. She landed on his chest and his back collided with the bed. She gasped for air as she didn't expect such an action.

Mini: What's wrong with...

Her words remained incomplete as he flipped her on the bed while he hovered over her. He grabbed her wrists and pushed them over her head. Mini closed her eyes and tears flowed down her cheeks.

Mini: Stop it Akash! Please chhodo mujhe.

He smirked and kissed her neck. She tried fighting back but his physical strength being much more than her, she failed to stop him. She cried for help but nobody could hear her sobs.

Mini: Leave me!!

Akash: Ek baat batau tumhe, Mini? I'm not drunk. Main sirf natak kar raha tha.

Mini was shocked beyond words.

Mini: Pl..please mu..mujhe jane do. Why are you doing this??

Akash: Toh aur kya karu main? Tum aasani se paas bhi toh nahi aati naa.

Mini: You're mad!! Chhodo mujhe..

He made his grip stronger on her hands as she tried to wriggle out her hands of his hold. Tears continued to flow from her eyes while her legs flailed beneath him.

Back to the present, Neil had tears in his eyes which were dreading to fall any moment. He was sitting beside her, holding her close to him by her shoulder. She sobbed her heart out in his arms while resting her head in his chest.

Mini: (still in his embrace) Neil.. uss din usne mujhe.. maar dala. I... I was just a body without a soul.

He shut his eyes tight. Tears that were already stored in those puffy eyes, rolled down his cheeks and he turned his face to the other side. Mini had worn a depressed smile with those tears in her eyes.

Mini: Tum uss din puch rahe the naa Neil.. ki mujhe sone ke liye lights on rakhne ki kya zaroorat hai.. that's the reason.. I.. I can't sleep with the lights off. Ghutan mehsoos hoti hai band kamre mein, specially jahan light na ho.. I.. I am claustrophobic. Isliye aaj jab woh trial room jam ho gaya tha toh.. I... I couldn't breathe there and.. fell unconscious.

After a short eerie silence, Mini looked up at him and he turned his face to meet her gaze. Their eyes were filled with painful tears. She read behind those teary eyes and saw love and concern for her in them. While he noticed the most dreaded memories behind those tears. Cupping her face, he wiped off her tears and very gently pressed his lips on her forehead, kissing her for an innumerable number of times. He poured out all his love and care in those sweet kisses. She closed her eyes feeling the moment. By that time, she knew what he felt for her and what her heart desired.

Happy reading ❤️

Next part whenever you say but... Interaction please ❤️