Part 20 - Home is where the heart is ❣️

Neil smiled slightly and blinked his eyes in assurance. He sat beside her while their fingers were still intact. She laid down on the bed and looked up at him. She realised that she didn't even thank him for his selfless help.

Mini: Neil...

He had shut his eyes to relax but her voice startled him.

Neil: Hmm?

Mini: Thank you. You came on time and saved Arya.

Neil: You don't need to thank me Mini. I did what was right. Meri jagah koi aur bhi hota toh..

Mini: Nahi! Tumhari jagah bahot se log the wahan. But they didn't do anything other than just standing there in silence and witnessing everything.

He caressed her hair lightly while she closed her eyes feeling the moment.

Neil: Don't take so much stress Mini. So jao.

She laid her head on the pillow again and soon slept. Neil caressed her hair lightly.

Neil's POV:

Why do I always feel connected to her? Why do her tears disturb me? Why does my heart rejoice when I see her smiling?Why do I always want to protect her from all the evils of the world that may come across her way? Why?? What is happening with me? Why couldn't I just say no to her request to stay here until she sleeps?

He kept on asking these questions from himself until sleep took over him too.

Mini was the first to wake up in the morning. She rubbed her eyes and slowly blinked them when she felt a tuck in her little finger. She opened her eyes wide and saw Neil sitting beside her bed on the floor, resting his head on the bed and sleeping peacefully.

Tu har din hor vi sohna lagnae
Akhiyan nu.. tattiyan hawava
Vich mere liye chale pakhiyaan tu..

Tu har din hor vi sohna lagnae
Akhiyan nu.. ho tattiyan hawava
Vich mere liye chale pakhiyaan tu..

Ho kadd dene jaan jani ve
Tere ehsaan jani ve
Te hun mainu lagdae do din di
Main mehmaan jaani ve
Mere liye duniya naal ladnae

Mere yaara ve tu itna bata de
Tu kyun mainu ehna zyada pyaar karnae..

Mini smiled at his innocent face and came on her elbow without leaving his little finger. She ruffled his long hair lightly with her other hand and he smiled in his sleep. He was about to wake up when Mini noticed it and pretended to sleep again.

Neil woke up to see a beautiful sight in front of his eyes which curled up his lips into a smile. Her serene face made him delighted. He stroked her hair and left her finger without disturbing her sleep. (As he thought she was sleeping)

As he was going, Mini opened her eyes and turned to him, seeing him moving out of the room. That's when reality hit her hard. She realised that all these little moments between them would vanish once everything turns back to normal. She wanted to hold on the time forever. She felt safe and comfortable around him and only HIM. He always helped her in her worst. Even now when Arya is in this condition, he is the only one who came forward to help them. She knew that she was only a guest at his house for some days and would have to move out but she couldn't help but think about only him. He's the only one who believes in her and her strength when she herself fails to do so. Nevertheless, she knew that she has started to feel for him but something was stopping her from accepting it. Something from within was stopping her from confessing her feelings. Thinking about all this, a smile appeared on her face.

She brushed her thoughts off and went out of the room. She stood outside Arya's room and saw Neil talking to Arya who had regained her consciousness.

Neil: How are you Arya?

Arya: I'm fine. Veer Balika kahan hai?

Neil: Veer Balika bhi bilkul theek hai. Now have some juice. You'll feel better.

She sat up straight on the bed with Neil's help and had a glass of juice.

Mini was silently witnessing everything from the corner of the room. Her lips curved into a pretty smile seeing Neil's care for her sister. She walked into the room after a while.

Mini: Chhutanki, theek ho tum?

She sat next to her on the bed and hugged her tight. Arya broke the hug after a couple minutes.

Mini: I'm sorry Arya. Mujhe tumhe akela chhod kar nahi jana chahiye tha. I'm really sorry..

She kissed her little hands as tears made way through both their eyes.

Arya: Veer Balika, humara ghar...?

Realising that their house was all destroyed because of the fire, made Mini's heart tremble. However, she managed to look strong for Arya's sake. She immediately cupped her face.

Mini: Shh... Kuch nahi hua Arya.. sab theek ho jayega.

She took her into a hug and caressed the back of her head while Arya cried in her arms. They soon broke the hug.

Mini: Arya.. you just rest, okay? And don't worry about anything. Main hoon naa tumhare sath.. kuch nahi hoga.

Arya nodded and Mini went out of the room. Neil stayed there with Arya for some time and he too went out when she had fallen asleep again.

Mini was sitting outside in the living room all alone when Neil came there. She again seemed lost in her own thoughts. He sat in front of her and she came back to the reality.

Neil: Kya soch rahi ho?

Mini: Arya ko toh samjha diya par khud ko kaise samjhau? Woh ghar... Babes aur papa ki aakhri nishani thi mere paas aur woh bhi... Woh ghar hi toh tha jahan Arya aur maine kuch yaadein banai thi and now... I... I lost that... I lost everything... I ...

Neil: But you have Arya with you.. and you can make many more new memories with her. And don't worry about the house, Mini.. woh makaan toh phir se khada ho jayega.. you should be glad that you have your people with whom you can make more memories.. you should be grateful to God that at least you didn't lose that precious person.

"Yeah... But the house... It belonged to my parents..."

"I understand your emotions... And you rightly coined it as 'house'. It's nothing but a house now... Not your home.. Mini, home is where our heart is, where our people live.. and your favourite person is still there with you. You can still make your own little home with your family who have not gone anywhere.. she is there... there inside that room," he tried making her understand. She slightly smiled at him. They shared a short eye lock which was soon broken by Mini..

Neil: Umm... I... I was going to make breakfast.. what would you like to have?

Mini: Anything will do..

He smiled and went into the kitchen.

Mini's POV:

What should I do? Should I follow him in the kitchen? Or should I go to Arya's room? But Arya is sleeping.. and I don't know ABC of kitchen... God!! I should have listened to Babes whenever she tried teaching me. Kya karu? Kuch samajh nahi aa raha. He is doing so much for both of us and here I am sitting idly and doing nothing!! At least I should join him in the kitchen. Damn! So stupid I am.

************

She went after him into the kitchen.

Precap- "Akele kyun rehte ho?"
"Bas ek dost ki madad hi ki hai."
"..are you okay? How's Arya?"