Part 47 - Is everything back to normal?

It was midnight. Neil had slept already and woke up with a jerk when he heard some noises coming from outside his room. He went out but there was nobody to be seen as the room was filled with darkness. He was confused but feeling sleepy, turned to go back to his room. The lights turned on and he saw Mini, Poonam and Arya, all excited. They all sang in unison a birthday song for him. He was taken aback and saw the time. It was 12 a.m.

Mini: Happy birthday Neil Oberoi.

Neil: Thank you Mini!

Poonam: Arre hum bhi hain. Thank you sirf Mini ko?

Arya: Haan. Aur maine toh tumhare liye card bhi banaya hai. Par tum toh sirf Veer Balika ko hi thanks karoge naa..

Neil: Accha? Aur aisa kyun..?

Mini: Arya!!

Arya: 🤭

Neil: Accha dikhao toh. Kya banaya hai aapne?

She presented the handmade card to him. It had the portraits of Mini, Neil, Poonam and herself. Neil had a smile on his face but tears deceived his eyes as they rolled down his cheeks. It reminded him of his sister.

Arya: Kya hua Neil? Tum ro kyun rahe ho? Tumhe accha nahin laga card?

Neil: Nahi Arya. Bahot pyaara hai yeh. Bilkul aapki tarah.

His voice was evident to Mini what he was feeling. As a support, she kept her hand on his shoulder. He wiped his tears off.

Arya: Dekho, yeh drawing bhi maine banaiye hai. Hum sabki! Tum, main, Veer Balika aur yeh maasi.

He smiled at her and then noticed two more people on the card.

Neil: Aur yeh kaun hain?

Arya looked at Mini, not knowing what to reply to him.

Mini: Neil, birthdays are always special but they become even more special with our own people around, with their love and blessings. And these two people can never be replaced in your life. They are the ones because of whom you are here today.

While she was saying all this, he was just looking at her, listening to her attentively that he didn't realise when Arya left the place and came back holding the hands of a couple. Neil turned around to see none other than his parents. He was shocked beyond words. His face reflected all those unsaid emotions.. all the bitter sweet memories he had with them gushed down in the form of new tears from his eyes. The moment they kept their hands on his head, he broke down in tears and cried his heart out, hugging them together. Mini too had tears in her eyes as her mind travelled into her own past.

Neil's dad: I'm sorry beta. Tumhe bahot takleef di hai maine. Itne saalo tak khud se, tumhari mom se tumhe dur rakha. Apni ego mein itna doob gaya ki apne bete ko hi.. Mujhe maaf kar do beta..

Neil: Dad please.. don't say this

Neil's mom: Nahi Neil. Your dad is right. Aur galti sirf inki nahi hai. Mujhse bhi huyi hai galti. Apne bacche ke liye stand na lene ki galti.. we're really sorry beta..

He immediately took her in his embrace while she stroked his hair and kissed his forehead the moment they broke the hug.

The three of them had some more family moments before Arya intervened and asked Neil to cut the cake. He chuckled at her innocence and sliced the cake. Everybody wished him again. He took a slice and fed his parents first. Mini still had some tears in her eyes but now those gushed down in happiness. Happiness of seeing him with his family, something she visualised long back, something she promised to herself, and now that little dream turned true. All her efforts finally paid off!