Part 32 - You're so much more 💫

Most of the people have left the party. Mini, Neil and some of her friends gathered around a table, played cards and chatted.

"So Mini? You tell? What's going on? The same old school?" one of her friends asked her in a mocking way.

She understood the context and exchanged looks with Neil and Preet before answering..

Mini: Erm... yeah.. what else? But I like what I do.

"It's been how long in the same school?"

"Almost three years. Why?"

"C'mon Mini! You've been working there for three years!! And what about your plan of becoming a singer?"

Her face fell and eyes showed a mixture of anger and sadness.

"Mini, you're just wasting your time there. What are you even getting? Kya hi salary hogi! Please don't mind, but look at us. Almost all of us are working in good companies and earning handsome salaries", the same friend added while the atmosphere around started to get heated up. Not just Mini and Neil, others too exchanged looks, feeling odd about what she said. Mini's eyes welled up with tears. Her anger was clearly visible in those teary eyes but she controlled herself as she didn't want to create a scene. Neil looked at her with compassion. Preet was irked and was about to reply but Neil jumped in.

Neil: Usually people work to earn three meals a day or which is sufficient for them and their families. Not to flaunt their bank balance... And for your question of her becoming a singer.. she chose her responsibilities over her passion, which usually girls of her age tend to ignore or should I say they don't have enough courage to do so.

She looked up at him with moist eyes but a confident and thankful smile. However, deep down in her heart she wondered how his every word actually was true as the fact that she never talked to him about it.

Her friend made a weird face and moved out of the group.

"Mini, please don't mind yaar. You know her. She hasn't changed a bit." Another friend from the group said. Mini smiled at her.

Mini: I.. I'll be back.

She went to the washroom. When she was returning, she bumped into a drunk person whom she happened to know. Her eyes turned red with anger when she saw him. Old bitter memories surfaced again making her already red eyes teary with rage. It was Akash.

Akash: Mini? Hi.. long time.. how are you?

Mini: Definitely not in the same condition you left me. What are you doing here?

Akash: What stupid question is that? Why do people come here?

Mini: Look, don't try to act smart with me..

Akash: Hey, relax Mini. Itna gussa kyun karti ho? You really need to chill.

He stopped a waiter passing by and took a drink.

Akash: Have this and just enjoy, okay?

Mini: Tumhe sach mein lagta hai main yahan isliye khadi hoon ki tumhare sath yeh drink enjoy kar saku? You haven't changed a bit!! The same casual behaviour.

Akash: Try it Mini. It'll help you reduce your stress.

He came forward and forcefully tried to make her drink. Neil noticed it and rushed towards them. Others too followed him. Before Neil could intervene, Mini pushed Akash back and slapped him tight on his face. Neil smiled proudly.

Mini: I should have done this long back. But I couldn't do, you know why? Because I made a mistake of trusting you. And in that trust, I couldn't believe what happened to me was done by somebody I loved. You broke me then but you can't do this every time. I'm not the same vulnerable Mini who used to love you. Haan par kabhi kabhi khud par gussa aat hai mujhe ki maine tumse... Anyway. I'm over it.