Part 18 - A dreadful incident

"You know that Preet!! Now will just stop asking me this every time?"

Preet went all silent and concentrated on driving the car. Mini realised that she was too harsh.

"I am sorry. (She sighed) Look, I understand what you're hinting at.. Even I feel that... I feel so comfortable, so safe around him... I can just be myself with him... You know, from the past few days I feel so lively, so fresh.. and I... I know, it's his effect on me.. a very beautiful and pure effect that sometimes I just want to confide in him but.. it's not easy!! I don't have that audacity to tell him everything. About me, about my past! Why should he suffer, yaar?"

"I know it's not easy.. but at least talk to him..Burai kya hai isme? If you think he's a nice person then.."

"Yes! There's NO harm in it. Also, he's a very nice guy but... I JUST CAN'T!! Why don't you understand? I don't want to trouble anybody else with my problem," Mini cut her short.

"But Mini.."

"Preet, I didn't take leave to discuss all this. Tujhe yahi sab kehna hai toh bata de main chali jati hoon."

"Okay fine. Nahi karte iss baare mein baat. But... at least tell me something about your violin classes", she raised her brows and smirked.

Mini looked at her and chuckled slightly.

Mini: Tu naa Arya se kam nahi hai.

Preet: Bata naa yaar! Abhi toh tune accept kiya.. that he's affecting you in a very beautiful and pure way.. but how? Give me some details! At least about your classes. (she said with a wink)

Mini: Wh.. what was that, Preet? Tu yeh classes par kuch zyada hi focus nahi kar rahi hai? Let me tell you.. there's nothing like that, okay? Bahot hi genuine classes hoti hain. And... we both are very decent people. So just stop putting stress on your brain.

Preet: Decent? Both?? Tujhe kaise pata ki woh bbi decent hai?

Mini: (blushed) Pata chal jata hai.

Preet: Ahaan..

Mini: What? Stop teasing me now!

Preet: 😂 Okay fine. By the way, we've reached.

Mini exited the vehicle while Preet parked it.

"Why Mini? Why are you doing this to yourself? I just wish ki koi ho jo woh purani wali Mini wapas laa paye... Jo tere dard ko samjhe... Mehsoos kare.. kab tak tu apni feelings ko yun hi mazak masti mein leti rahegi?", thought Preet.

Mini: (knocking on the window) Kya soch rahi hai? Jaldi kar!

Preet brushed her thoughts off and the two friends went into the mall for shopping. In the evening, Preet dropped Mini outside her street.

Preet: Mini, yahin se chali jayegi naa? It's a narrow street.. back karne mein problem hogi.

Mini: Haan yaar. I understand... Bye.

She left. Mini saw a few people gathered around her house and ran up to check with the matter. She saw Rani outside who was panicking while knocking on the door.

Mini: Rani didi, yeh kya ho raha hai? Yeh itne log yahan... Kya hua hai? Aap aise kyun...?

She noticed smoke coming out and was left dumb struck. The next words that came out of her mouth was..

Mini: Ar... Arya kahan hai? Rani didi!! Arya kahan hain??

They heard Arya's scream from inside the house.

Mini: ARYA!! Arya.. o.. open the door!!!

Terror struck her face. Her senses stopped working and she failed to understand what should be done. Tears formed up in her eyes while she tried talking to Arya.

Mini: Arya, you don't worry. Main hoon yahin. Kuch nahi hoga tumhe... Call the fire brigade!! (She shouted at the gathered crowd)

Rani and Mini tried to break the door but failed. Mini hurt herself on the arm while trying to open the door. The smoke only rose by every minute making Mini's condition more miserable. Arya's voice couldn't be heard anymore while jer sister's state was only getting worse.

Mini: Rani didi, aap kahan gayi thi Arya akela chhod kar? Kaha tha aapse ki uske ke sath rehna... (All of a sudden, her expressions changed as she recollected her bitter past) Aur ander... ander toh andhera bhi hoga..

The stored tears coursed down her cheeks and the sobs wracked her body, robbing it to the ability to speak and barely allowing a breath to be drawn.

Neil came from the hospital and saw the chaos in the street. He ran towards the direction. Seeing Mini dejected, broke him from within, though he couldn't understand a thing. However, in his concerning and staggering voice, he managed to ask,

"Wh..what happened? M.. Mini?"

Mini looked up at him with wet eyes and within a few seconds, threw herself in his arms. He was shocked but caressed her hair lightly. She continued to cry in muffled sobs against his chest while his eyes started to feel heavy with tears.

Neil could feel his shirt getting wet with her tears which made him even more tense for her. Her sobs got only deeper when he tried asking her the reason behind her condition. He looked up at the gathered crowd while his eyes became red with tears; tears which cascaded down his face, dropping down on her head, when he noticed smoke around the house, which earlier went unnoticed by him as his entire focus was on Mini. Everything became crystal clear to him. However, he was still unaware of the major reason behind her breakdown.

Feeling his teardrops on her head, Mini slowly broke the hug, her hair getting detached from his shirt's collar. However, his arms were still around her body and hands stroking her hair. She looked up at him with a dull and swollen face. He looked into her deep eyes which clearly depicted fear.. fear of something which he still was trying to process. Mini, in her sobbed voice started to speak..

Mini: P... please d... do something, Neil.. Arya.. woh ander hai.. she's all alone... Please save her. Sh.. she's the only one I have... M.. main bahar gayi thi... Pata nahi yeh sab kaise... Arya ander lock ho gayi hai aur shayad g.. gas l.. leak..

To say he was shocked would be an understatement. His heart stopped beating for a while. He was unable to process things around him. Numbness took over him as he slowly skimmed down his hands off her. Everybody and everything around him went silent, even her further words. For him, Arya is somebody in whom he had always looked for his own loved one. Her pretty smile, innocent eyes and cute talks had always made his dull days turn bright. And at that moment, not just Mini, but he too felt as if he was going to lose his own sister.

She held his hand a little tight and he came back to his senses.

Neil: Aa... Arya.. nahi..

He looked towards the house and ran to open it. Mini held his hand, stopping him in his way. He turned to face her. Their eyes turned red with a continuous flow of tears.

Mini: I'll come along..

He immediately cupped her face, rubbed his thumb over her flowing tears and said,

"Hey relax.. she'll be alright, okay? I won't let anything happen to her... You trust me?"

"I do", she answered while looking into his eyes.

He smiled amidst the tears and blinked his eyes in assurance.

Precap - "No ifs and buts!"
"I don't care."
"Don't go inside."
"Please leave!"

Happy reading ❤️