Part 44 - I promise

Neil: Mera yeh accident bina reason ke nahin hua. There is a reason behind this. In fact, she is the reason.

Mini: Who?

Neil: (smiled sarcastically) Tanya!

Mini: What!! H..how?

Neil: She's back! As the new dean of the hospital.

Mini was shocked beyond words.

Mini: New Dean? Par woh toh Dr. Ahuja the naa?

Neil: Tum janti ho unhe?

Mini: Haan. Of course. Humare family doctor hain woh. Papa ke kaafi acche friend the. In fact, tumhara reference mujhe unse hi mila tha.

Neil: I see.. Dr. Ahuja is now retired. Unki jagah.. you know the rest. Aaj hospital se jab nikala toh I was mentally not strong. Kuch aur soch hi nahin paa raha tha. Baar baar aankhon ke aage wohi sab aa raha tha jo hospital mein hua. Wohi purani baatein kaano mein goonj rahi thi. I don't doubt her calibre but.. Mini, I can't work there anymore. Har waqt uske saamne aana, uske orders follow karna, uske under kaam karna.. mujhse nahin hoga.

Mini: What are you saying, Neil? Look, I understand what you must be going through but jitna main tumhe jaanti hoon tum unme se nahin ho jo apni personal aur professional life ko mix kare. Toh kaam naa karna, yeh toh koi solution nahin hai naa? Itna emotional ho kar decision mat lo, Neil. Thoda soch lo. Practically socho.

Neil: Soch liya hai maine, Mini. Uske saamne phir se nahin jaunga. In fact, kal hi resignation de dunga.. I... I won't work there.. uss hospital mein main job nahin kar sakta.

Mini: Lekin Neil.. thoda aur soch lo please. This is not right. Uske sath tumhare jo bhi personal problems the, unko tum professional setup mein kyun count kar rahe ho?

Neil: I just can't think of anything else, Mini. Usey jab dekhta hoon naa toh khoon khaulta hai mera. Mere senses kaam karna band kar dete hain. Aur tum chahti ho ki main uske sath kaam karun? No! Never!!

Mini: Par Neil... Don't get me wrong but ho sakta hai ki usey apni galti realise huyi ho aur isliye...

Neil: Realise, my foot!! Jisne divorce ke ek mahine baad hi dusri shaadi kar li ho usey kya realise hoga, Mini?

Mini: What? Shaadi...

Neil: Haan. Aur woh bhi apne ek dost se. Uska koi school friend tha.. same status ka.. whatever had happened, I hardly care now. Par wapas kyun aayi hai woh..

Mini: Neil, I think you need some rest. Tum mentally... physically bhi theek nahin ho. Aise stress loge toh aur bimar hoge. Aaram karo. Waise bhi bahot raat ho gayi hai.

She made him lie down on the bed. He held her hand and pulled her closer, and slowly moved his head on her lap. Mini was a little surprised but looked at him lovingly.

Neil: Don't go, please..

She softly caressed his hair and blinked her eyes assuring him that she would always be there for her no matter what. He shut his eyes and slowly sleep took over him.

"I am sorry Neil. I should have been with you when you needed me the most. But I.. I am so sorry! Tum akele hi sab kuch seh rahe the... Itne waqt se.. Kuch nahin kaha mujhse. Aur main.. I couldn't feel your pain.. I could not become your peace for the suffering you went through all these years You needed a listener and I just went away.. I am sorry! Par ab chahe jo ho jaye.. main hoon, tumhare sath.. hamesha... Tumhare liye, humare liye, Neil.. Lekin tumhe aise impulsive decisions nahim lene dungi.. I promise you that. I'll always be there for you." She said to herself with tears flowing down her face. Neil was in deep sleep but as she gently kissed his forehead, a peaceful smile appeared on his lips. She continued to caress his long curly hair until slept.

Next morning, Neil was the first one to wake up. He was still on her lap. He noticed his fingers entangled with hers and looked up at her. Her hair partially covered her face as her head took support of the headrest.

Dil ibaadat kar raha hai
Dhadkanein meri sun
Tujhko main kar loon haasil
Lagi hai yahin dhun
Zindagi ki shaakh se lun
Kuch haseen pal main chun
Tujhko main kar loon haasil
Lagi hai yahin dhun..

He slowly got up from her lap making sure not to disturb her sleep, and tucked her hair behind her ear. He very softly rubbed his thumb over her face and continued to admire her innocence while she was smiling in her sleep. Looking at her, a tender smile came upon his face too. He came a little closer and gently left her hand, cupped her face with his other hand too.. and in that moment, he forgot everything else and knew what he ever needed was nothing but her being this close to him.

Jo bhi jitne pal jeeyun
Unhe tere sang jeeyun
Jo bhi kal ho ab mera
Usse tere sang jeeyun
Jo bhi saansein main bharoon
Unhe tere sang bahroon
Chaahe jo ho raasta
Usse tere sang chaloon

Dil ibaadat kar raha hai
Dhadkanein meri sun
Tujhko main kar loon haasil
Lagi hai yahin dhun

He lovingly kissed her forehead and all his stress was gone away. She moved in her sleep and blinked her eyes adjusting to the sunlight pouring into the room through the window. He immediately covered her face so that the sun rays won't disturb her. She smiled at him and he returned the similar smile to her.

Mujhko de tu mit jaane
Ab khud se de mil jaane
Kyun hai yeh itna faasla
Lamhe yeh phir na aane
Inko tu na de jaane
Tu mujhpe khud ko de luta

Tujhe tujhse tod loon
Kahin khud se jod loon
Mere jismojaan pe aa
Teri khushboo odh loon
Jo bhi saansein main bharoon
Unhe tere sang bharoon
Chaahe jo ho raasta
Use tere sang chaloon

Dil ibaadat kar raha hai
Dhadkanein meri sun
Tujhko main kar loon haasil
Lagi hai yahin dhun..

Neil: Good morning Madam!

Mini: Good morning doc!

Neil: Tum raat bhar yahin thi?

Mini: Tumne hi toh kaha tha ki main na jaun...

Baahon mein de bas jaane
Seene mein de chup jaane
Tujh bhin main jaaoon toh kahaan
Tujhse hai mujhko paane
Yaadon ke woh nazraane
Ik jinpe hak ho bas mera

Teri yaadon mein rahoon
Tere khwaabon mein jagoon
Mujhe dhoonde jab koi
Teri aankhon mein miloon
Jo bhi saansein main bharoon
Unhe tere sang bharoon
Chaahe jo ho raasta
Usse tere sang chaloon

Dil ibadat kar raha hai
Dhadkanein meri sun
Tujhko main kar loon haasil
Lagi hai yahi dhun...

He gave her a thankful smile and they continued to stare into each other's eyes. Their eyes were soft and raced heartbeat was clearly heard by each other. Though they never confessed their feelings to each other but their eyes were evident of what they felt.

He again kept his hands on her face and caressed it continuously. She closed her eyes feeling the moment. He just smiled at her innocence and suddenly moved away. She opened her eyes and looked at him, completely confused.

Neil: Umm.. you should go.. I mean.. ready hone hoga tumhe..

She slowly nodded her head and got up to leave. He saw her moving out of the room.

"I am sorry to create this confusion in your mind, Mini but I promise I won't cross my limits. I promise to be there with you, always. I want to make the confession special." He thought to himself looking at the door of his room.

Happy reading 💗