Wonderful Christmas - Arthur Havisham

What it would be like to spend Christmas with Arthur Havisham.

...

It was night of Christmas Eve. Arthur Havisham knocked on your front door. You didn't know him very well, as he was just a acquaintance to you.

"Mr. Havisham? What have you come here for?"

"Please, call me Arthur. What are you doing for the holiday?"

A confused look grew on your face,"Why do you ask?" Arthur barely ever spoke to you unless he had to. Now he was asking you for your holiday plans?

"Just wondering. I figured it would be terrible to spend it with you." He joked, laughing after.

You chuckled, "you're the one who is on my front porch asking for my plans. To let you know I haven't got any plans."

"Well then, why don't we do something ourselves?", he wandered around the small little room you called home. He noticed a small bare tree in the corner, "oh my."

"What's wrong?"

"This tree. It's so...naked.", he gently grabbed you by the arm, "I know where we're going now."

The two of you walked the cobblestone street for a bit until you came across a small shop. The shop was filled with Christmas decorations, every ornament and garland hand made to perfection.

"It's beautiful.", you sighed, taking in all the sights. Arthur led you to a basket that kept a few tree toppers in it. He immediately picked up one that resembled an angel.

"This one?"

"No, Arthur."

"Why not?"

Hiding your frown, "I've always believed people put a topper on the tree with family. Anybody in town knows I don't have one of those."

"C'mon, we'll put it up together. family doesn't have to be the one you're born with. Family something to choose." He smiled at you, rubbing your shoulder, "Come on, now." He waved you over, making you follow him to a new section.

This new section had garlands hung all around. There was one in particular you really liked, it had little red berries, popcorn, and dried orange peels. This one stood out from the rest since the rest of them were just ribbons.

"Arthur, come!", you called at him. He quickly turned around, "Isn't this one pretty?"

"Yes, I would say so", he swiftly picked it up and carried it along with the angel tree topper, "Are we all set then?"

"If you are, yes."

He went to check out even though you wanted to purchase it yourself. He insisted he bought it for you, saying it would be "his treat".

You two quickly returned back to your home and decorated your tree. You hummed Christmas tunes while you strung the garland around the tree. When it was time to put the angel on the top, you and Arthur did it together, hands on either side of the small angel.

"It looks magnificent." Arthur whispered and quickly hugged you.

"It really does", you hugged him back, "Thank you, Arthur, for making my Christmas this year so magical."

"We're not done yet. Come to The Three Cripples with me." He practically begged.

"As your wish. My treat this time."

"If you insist."

He grabbed your hand this time and walked with you to The Three Cripples bar.

He said hello to a few people he had known from his other times here, told you they were regulars at the bar since he does come here a lot and is a regular as well. You ordered two rum egg nog drinks and sat down at a table with him. A small boy working served you and Arthur the drinks a few moments later.

Arthur gave the boy a coin as a tip. There was a rumor going around about Arthur being disowned and being broke, but you always knew that rumors were rumors for a reason and not to believe everything. However this did make you wonder if he was truly broke, why was he giving his money away like it meant nothing? You weren't going to bring it up though, that was a discussion for another day. It was none of your business anyway.

"Look!", the little boy who served you exclaimed. You two looked at him in unison to see him pointing slightly above you, "a mistletoe.", He giggled as if it were to be his first time seeing two people kiss.

"Hey, would you look at that?" Arthur smiled, trying to hide it. He shooed the little boy away before turning to you and staring you deeply in the eyes. His brown eyes were the most beautiful sight you have ever laid your own eyes on.

"Arthur...", you questioned it for a second, then you were quickly reminded of who you were under the mistletoe with, it would be foolish not to kiss him, "well I guess we're under the mistletoe. We have to!"

He leaned in, grabbing the back of your next and the bottom of your chin with his hands. You laid your hands on his cheeks, leaning in as well.

Your lips interlocked with his, and you felt yourself become lighter. All your worries melted away and you felt a bright spark.

He pulled away, "Y/N, will you please have me for Christmas morning?"

"Of course Id have you. I can't guarantee it's going to be too special though.", you heard through the grapevine that he was disowned by his father so you wanted to treat him right and give him a Christmas that was surrounded by people.

You ordered a few more drinks and laughed the night away. Before you knew it, someone in the bar shouted, "it's midnight! Happy Christmas!"

This made everyone in the bar start to cheer and hug one another. Arthur embraced you and gave you a kiss on the cheek. He whispered into your ear, "Should we go back to your home so we're well rested for tomorrow, well technically, today?"

You nodded as he grabbed your hand, and walked you back to your home.

He slept in your bed that night, which he swore he would never tell anyone, since sleeping in someone's bed who you weren't married to was very scandalous. You only cuddled, nothing more. Arthur's touch was very soft, and you could tell all he needed as a nice hug and to be loved.

When the sun rose, he had his arm around you, rubbing his hand up and down your arm. He whispered into your ear with a smile, "thank you for such a wonderful Christmas."

...

A/N: Merry Christmas! and if you don't celebrate Happy Holidays! I hope everyone enjoyed this little Christmas special! Thanks for reading!