I

'don't wish for it, work for it.'

- unknown

Ares

"LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE! Good evening and welcome to tonight's boxing match which promises to be a classic in every sense of the word. In the red corner, the undisputed world champion: the man known only as the God of War... And in the blue corner... The Ravager! And tonight's prize? ETERNAL GLORY!"

Ares stared into the sinister eyes of his opponent. The cheers and chants on his behalf encouraged him even further to see his opponent's blood flow. The sharp sound of the bell rang through his ears and it fuelled his desire to win; he only wanted one thing: blood.

Ares' arm swung across towards his opponent. He had felt and heard how his knuckles smashed onto his opponent, and smiled in sadistic serenity when The Ravager flew toward the ground.

"The Ravager hits the canvas! He hits the canvas! He hits rock bottom!" The commentator called out with excitement. 

After continuous punches and throws, Ares placed all of his weight on top of his opponent, focusing on the ref's counts.

"ONE!!! TWO!!! THREE!! FOUR!! FIVE!! SIX!!!"

"I cannot believe it! Is The Ravager giving up? Is he going to give The God of War the ultimate win?"

"SEVEN!! EIGHT!! NINE!!"

The crowd cheered thoroughly right before the ref called out "TEN." Ares raised both arms in pride and chanted his name aloud, joining the crowd.

"WOW!! Is anyone good enough to beat The God of War? If I had not been here myself, I would not have believed it!" The commentator began, "yet again another successful night for the strong and mighty.. ARES!" The crowd roared through his words. "That is all for tonight ladies and gentlemen, goodnight!"

-

Ares Cirillo, a symbol of war, a beacon of fame and success was the greatest boxer of his generation. It was deemed impossible to beat him in the ring, so many didn't dare to challenge him but the few that did found themselves severely injured and filled with shame and defeat. He was deemed as 'The God of War' after his name and the ancient beliefs of Greek mythology, also because of his half Greek ancestry.

From the young age of 14: Ares started to become a professional in boxing, he knew it was his passion and future. With the help of his mom, who had also had a career in boxing, he knew he was confident about his success. Years and years of training had him believing that he would end up in a successful career in boxing but after the passing of his mom in a fatal car accident, that lifestyle became invisible to him.

After the age of 18, boxing was completely forgotten to the boy. When he should've been training and letting out his feelings in a physical, healthy way, he instead turned to drugs and alcohol.  For him, this was comforting and so he'd left his dreams in the past. Boxing meant nothing to him anymore.

At the age of 22, Ares was finally sober and on his road to success. His sister, Lana, had also been a boxing fanatic. She wanted to be a famous boxer with Ares- they were supposed to be the ultimate brother-sister duo. World class champions. Winners.

And then she found out she was fatally injured and could never play again. Her ACL was torn, making simple things difficult, such as walking. If she couldn't jump back, duck and avoid blows, how would she be a boxer at all? So whilst her brother drowned himself in anything and everything that could take him out of his head, Lana mourned the ability to ever live up to her mom's legacy.

Ares found out three years later, and was in shock. It was the reality check he needed. He mentally sobered when he realised his own sister kept a lifelong injury from him for three years, because he wasn't in the right state to handle the news. Realising he had to do better for his sister, he forced himself to go through a year of strict rehabilitation and recovery.

If Lana couldn't be a boxer, Ares would. And he did.

For Lana, he became the best of the best.