XXXI

'it's like one day you flipped a switch and became someone i never knew'

- unknown

august

"Why are you ignoring me, August?"

"I'm not."

Sean marched towards his boyfriend, unconvinced. "You were ignoring me all day. In front of my fucking friends. They were trying to talk to you, and you sat silent. You ignored me when I told you to reply."

"I wasn't."

"Don't play dumb with me, August. Tell me what's wrong."

"It really hurt." He whispered.

"What hurt?"

August bit his lip, unrolling his sleeves to show the bruises on his wrists. "These."

"Oh don't be pathetic. That wouldn't have happened if you just played nice."

August glared at his boyfriend. "You always do this. You tell me to talk to you and then dismiss me. It wasn't my fault, Sean. You really hurt me."

Sean scoffed. "You're pathetic. Sad, even. I told you to stop moving and you didn't. That's your fault. If you had just listened, I wouldn't have had to hold you so tight. You made me do that."

"I didn't. I didn't make you do anything. You made me do things. I didn't want to, Sean."

"You're my boyfriend." Sean moved forward. "I do what I want to you. You don't like it, break up with me."

August stayed quiet. He knew furthering the argument would just end up with him in more pain than he already was in.

Sean grabbed his wrists tightly, where the bruises were, and dragged him upstairs.

"No, no, Sean, please. Please. Not again, please." August felt tears immediately well up in his eyes.

"Shut up."

"No, no, please. Please, Sean." He begged. "Please. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, please, don't. Don't-"

"Shut up, August."

August was pushed onto the bed. He shook his head, tears streaming down his face as he tried to back away from his boyfriend. "Please. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Please. Sean, please, I really don't want to. Please don't make me-"

"SHUT UP."

Sean's hands balled into fists, fists that met August's skin. His stomach was punched repeatedly, and Sean smiled sadistically as August struggled to breathe. He was silenced.

"Please." He whispered one more time, shaking his head so much he began to feel dizzy.

"Shut up."

Ares had no idea what was happening when August's face paled, his eyes glazing over. He watched as the younger man started to frantically walk around, hands shaking, tears pouring down his face.

August eventually looked up, confused as to how he ended up on the other side of the living room and then met Ares' gaze. His breathing fastened and he shook his hands in the air as if to get water off of them.

"August?"

"No- no, no, no." 

August ran towards the closet with his shoes and coat, throwing them on like there was a killer behind him and went for the exit.