XLVII

'you dont lose if you get knocked down. you lose if you stay down'

- muhammad ali

Ares

The season had started again, and Ares felt better than ever. He had August back, and it was healthy this time. Yes, they weren't dating, and August was being abused, but they had turned it into a friendship- with benefits- and both were happy with that.

So now, August could help Ares win again whilst Ares would help August with his own problems. Their old deal had returned but instead of just company, August was receiving support now too. Emotional support, which Ares was more than happy to give.

Ares wasn't going to fight Sean straight away. He was going to fight Sean in a future match, when things were less playful and more competitive. When the time came, Ares had told himself and August that he would hold himself back, and even let himself lose for the unimportant matches.

If Ares could lose against Sean and still have enough previous success to further himself in the season and make it to another final, then he'd lose. If it meant Sean wouldn't hurt August, and maybe even treat the man right, then Ares was more than happy to do so.

Ares' first match had begun. He was going against a new boxer who he'd never fought before, and it started off easy. But then it got more competitive, despite the match being unimportant for the future.

He figured the guy was trying to build his reputation strongly, rather than start off weak. Ares didn't care. When it came to boxing, nothing mattered (unless it involved August), so he was going to win whether it ruined the new guy's reputation or not.

The atmosphere in the ring was tense, and Ares had barely been hit. He'd dodged most of the new guy's eager attacks and once he got the chance, he left the defensive and started focussing on being on the offensive.

The new guy (whose name Ares didn't care about at all but probably needed to learn) was good at defending himself, but he was getting weaker after a while. Ares held himself back after a little while, letting the new guy think he had the upper hand. When he least expected it, Ares had him on the floor and the match was over.

The first person he looked out for was August, and Ares saw the smile on the Venezuelan man's face and felt more pride than he'd ever felt for himself in his life. He then saw Leonardo, who was smiling too, but Ares didn't feel as much pride.

A little part of him, the child in him that always wanted a father who could say I'm proud of you, had felt a little better, but he ignored it. Leonardo wasn't worth his time anymore. He wouldn't have been that way if Leonardo made an effort before Rhea's death.

It was all about time, and Leonardo had wasted most of it. So Ares didn't need anything from the man. Leonardo Cirillo meant nothing to Ares. All they shared was a last name.

"Where's Sean? Are you allowed to be here?"

"He told me he was going to a meeting with his manager. He's probably going to sleep with her, but I don't really care."

Ares nodded and sat down on the sofa in his office. "So when are you going home? Does he think you're already there?"

"He gave me some cash and told me to get dinner." August showed the measly twenty dollar bill that his boyfriend gave him. "Said I have to be home by eight or 'I'll regret it'."

"How would he know whether or not you came home by eight?"

"He'll check the cameras to see if I'm home yet."

Ares nodded. "He's such a dick. We have two hours though, so let me take you out for dinner. I'll spoil you."

August shook his head. "It's fine. I don't need you to do that for me."