16 | Letters from Comet

The gigantic house was dim and gloomy when Given went home that night. Right when she entered the living room area, she saw her parents sitting across each other while her sisters were nowhere to be seen.

They probably left already.

Their family has been in shackles for years now and they tried their best to stay in tact even when they heard issues about their parents but as humans, there's only so much they can take.

In the end, Gift and Grace left and probably, she will too. Dito na tuluyang masisira ang pamilya nila. Dito na sila tuluyang magkakawatak-watak.

"Are you leaving too?" Glen, the head of the house, asked in his low voice.

He wasn't looking at his wife nor his remaining daughter in the room. Instead, his eyes were deeply bore on the marble floor, hands clasped together. Beside him was his luggage. If those contained things he brought from his travel or if those contained things he's bringing when he finally leaves the house, no one knows.

"Probably? My sisters are gone and if I stay here, it will be unhealthy for me. Malulunod ako kagaya nina ate at ni Grace," Given answered her Dad's question.

"Where are you planning to stay then?" Glen asked again, this time raising his head a little to take a quick glance at her second born daughter.

Given shrugged her shoulders. "Kay tita? Hindi ko alam eh. Kahit saan basta malayo rito. Malayo sa'yo, malayo kay Mommy..." She took a quick glance at Adira who couldn't look back at her. "Malayo sa lahat ng ala-ala ng pamilya natin."

"She won't accept you there."

For the first time, Adira said something but it only made Given chuckle.

"Ikaw lang po ang hindi ako tanggap, 'Mmy. Kayo lang ni Daddy ang hindi ako tanggap. I felt that growing up since I am the middle child. While you were in favor of Grace, Dad was in favor of ate Gift. And when I was left out, tita was the only one who was in favor of me. Mas naging magulang pa nga siya sa'kin kesa sa inyo eh."

"And what? You're going to burden her by staying with her? Madre ang tita mo, Given. Hindi ka niya maaalagaan," Adira said once more.

"Kaya kong alagaan ang sarili ko, 'Mmy. Gusto ko lang po talagang lumayo rito. Ayaw ko po muna kayong makita o makasama. Ayaw ko munang huminga ng parehong hangin na hinihinga ninyo. Ayaw ko po muna kayong marinig. Ayoko ng kahit anong balita tungkol sa'yo o kay Daddy. That's how much I despise the both of you right now. I tried my best to respect you and love you still despite the unfair treatment you both gave me but this?"

Given wiped her tears as she let out a humorless laugh. An exhausted one. One that is really on the verge of giving up.

"This is too much for me to handle po. You are too much for me to handle."

"I'm sorry, Given. We failed as your parents," Glen whispered with so much remorse.

Given smiled and took her stand already. "Yes, Dad. You definitely did. Kaya sana sa mga bagong anak ninyong dalawa, kahit pa sa ibang mga tao 'yan, sana maging maayos na magulang na kayo. Tanggap ko sila, pero hindi pa ako handang harapin 'yong anak mo, Dad. Probably when you give birth too, it won't be easy for me to go and see you and the baby, Mom. Just let me heal for now. Pero mga kapatid ko pa rin sila kaya sana ayusin na ninyo ang trato ninyo sa kanila. Don't repeat the same mistakes you did with ate Gift, Grace, and I. Pinagod niyo kami at sana, hindi na iyon maranasan ng mga bagong kapatid ko."

Those were Given's last words before finally heading to her room to gather her things. Matagal na panahon siyang nagtiis pero ngayon, tama na muna. Kailangan na muna niyang huminga.