Chapter 14

(Anthony)

Elizabeth said this man was a pheonix. I've never heard of a pheonix existing. This was all new and my head was throbbing. I couldn't handle all this new information all at once. This was all loads of shit.

"Amelise." Garret growled, looking at Elizabeth angrily.

"No, I'm Elizabeth."

"How did you know?" Elizabeth gave a sheepish look then set her eyes downcast.

"Elizabeth?" Her mother asked coming to stand next to her on the bed.

"She told me I would heal faster if I accepted her." She said her voice rising. She looked angry for a second then her hand went to where her injury was.

"She speaks the truth. But you should have waited." Garret said once more.

"Waited for what?" It was my turn to ask questions. This was my mates life.

"I have to explain things to you." Garret turned to look at us and crossed his arms over his chest. He looked annoyed and I didn't blame him.

"Well explain away Garret." Elizabeth said hissing. She scooted around on the bed and patted the spot next to her. She gestured to me and I just looked at her.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Come on mate. Might as well get comfortable." She smiled at me and my heart did a kind of fluttery thing that made me scrunch up my eyebrows. I shrugged it off and climbed unto the bed and sat on the bed next to her. She placed her head on my shoulder and her hand on my lap. "Thank you." She whispered and I was confused for a second until it registered that she was thanking me for saving her life.

I didn't reply. Instead I interlocked our fingers and gave her hand a gentle squeeze. I saw her eyes flutter close before she let out a sigh. Something deep inside me stirred and I ignored it.

"Um, Your Highnesses, can we have some privacy." Garret said looking at the King and Queen. I blushed as I just realized that I was cuddling in a sense with their daughter. I swallowed as the King stared at me with cold hard eyes. His eyes shifted to Elizabeth and they softened. His Queen, looked me over then her daughter. She smiled at us then cocked her head to the side.

"Do call when you are finished. I have to speak to my daughter." The Queen said smiling at her daughter and dragging her husband out of the room.

"As Elizabeth said, I am a pheonix. We are an eternal life force that can not be terminated. We are sent mainly to protect the royal family. There are only seven of us on Drexel and no more on Earth. My mate and I were only about two hundred when we were assigned our first task. That was to protect the newlyweds. The royal family at the time."

"So that means that Lia is a pheonix as well?" Elizabeth asked, raising her head off my shoulder. I looked at her.

"Yes but save your questions for after." He bit out and my blood boiled.

"You will not snap at my mate." I said, my voice cold and I almost didn't recognise it.

"Relax. Anyway as I was saying, we were the youngest of the pheonixes and given a great task. When we met the King and Queen, who were both angels, they told us that didn't want us hogging them. They wanted their freedom and we gave it to them. Always keeping a close eye. One night, Queen Amelise told us that we needed to go on a date. She ordered us out of the palace and sent us on our way. We are submissive by nature. Once the royal family commands it, we are forced to listen.

"That night was our biggest mistake. I took Evangelia out and we went for dinner not too far from the palace but she was not comfortable leaving the Queen unattended since she was seven months with child and her closest friend. I said not to hurry. We strolled back to the palace but as we neared it, we felt it in our bodies. The pain the king and queen were going through. An encantress was aiding the attackers for she had put a shield around the palace keeping all other beings out. But such trivial magic can not hold back a pheonix for long. It can only slow them down. There was a loud scream through the palace, we heard it and it drove my mate to her knees, she began to cry and before long the kingdom was plagued with grief.