Chapter Six

.

.

.

Chapter Six

.

.

.

"...Police Chief, Captain Stacy, says that there is still an ongoing search for the criminals who were taken from their cells three weeks ago." The Korean news reporter informed on her T.V. The woman stood in front of a large, gaping hole on the side of the prison wall. It was taped off with warnings of caution and construction signs, "Captain Stacy urges civilians to remain cautious until they are apprehended. Back to you, Mark."

Mary Jane took a drink of her evening coffee, not really paying attention to the news on the television screen. It was really her dad who was watching it, anyway.

"Thanks, Debra," The news anchor said to the camera, with too white of a smile compared to his rather orange complexion, "In other news; Citizens of New York wonder about Spider-Man's sudden disappearance-"

Mary Jane, who had just taken another drink of her coffee, sputtered - nearly choking from her sudden coughing fit. Her dad let out a grunt of annoyance at her disruption as he took a swift swig of his beer - already on his fifth drink of the night - but Mary Jane paid him no mind... her attention was now rapt on the screen before her.

"It has been two weeks since the last known sighting of New York's personal Wall-Crawler, when he had been spotted chasing a van in a high-speed chase through Manhattan..."

Entranced, her attention was completely fixated on the screen, drinking in every word. Despite herself, she found herself right on the cusp of daring to hope again- that perhaps the news anchors would finally give her word of what she has been so desperately waiting to hear. Every time Mary Jane left the house now, to walk the streets of Brooklyn, or even Manhattan, she found herself looking up more often than she has ever done before, hoping to catch the sight of red and blue among the towering skyscrapers.

So far, she has been left disappointed.

"Here to comment more on the issue is Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson."

The camera panned to the left, to reveal an upper middle-aged man with an even mix of brown and grey hair... which seemed to look oddly flat on the top. The man's eyes looked small compared to the wideness of his mouth- which was topped with a wide mustache.

"Mr. Jameson," The anchorman, Mark, began. "What do you have to say about Spider-Man's disappearance? Do you think that it's temporary or is he gone for good?"

But Mr. Jameson hardly looked concerned about Spider-Man's lack of whereabouts. No... in fact, he looked smug.

"I say good riddance to that menace!" He said with a hard, rasping, bark of a voice.

Mary Jane's jaw dropped.

"That no-good Wall-Crawler has been nothing but a nuisance to the city of New York since he first showed up!" Mr. Jameson continued, getting a little red in the face as he worked himself up in his rant. A vein began to bulge on the man's forehead as his face tightened and scrunched while in the midst of his diatribe. "I have it on good authority that Spider-Man single-handedly crashed a plane onto the beaches of Coney Island! That is blatant disrespect for public property, which he should be fined and jailed for!"

If possible, Mary Jane gaped even further at the screen, unable to comprehend how this man was even able to say such horrible things about Spider-Man - who was probably the kindest, most down-to-earth hero there was out there.