Chapter Forty-Eight

A/N: Please like, subscribe, and comment! It really helps my motivation to continue writing this story.

.

.

.

Chapter Forty-Eight

.

.

.

...A time for us, at last to see.

A life worthwhile for you and me.

And with our love, through tears and thorns.

We will endure as we pass surely through every storm-

The song cut off on his phone as a ringing started blaring in his suit's earpieces, effectively shattering the calm disposition that he finally had been able to achieve by hearing Mary Jane's voice. The feeling of unease now settled deep in his chest, the spell of the song now broken but not altogether lost. The remnants of her siren tune still lingered inside of him.

One of his demands of Fury had been that he be allowed to use one of their computers to upload Mary Jane's song to his new phone from the CD Annabelle had gifted him. Ever since, he listened to it constantly every time he was out scoping the Venice streets. In an odd way, despite blocking out the noise of the city that he should be paying attention to, listening to the song kept him focused - as it also drowned out the ever-threatening disquiet blaring in his head. Landing in a perch on top of a tower's pillar, Peter paused and allowed himself to release a heavy sigh as the ringing phone continued its incessant bellowing. He knew without answering how this conversation was going to go.

He was being summoned by Fury.

Gritting his teeth one last time, Peter accepted the call.

"Hello?"

"Be at the base in fifteen minutes." Was the only greeting that he got.

"Uh, can you go without me for just a few more hours?" He had hoped to be able to search for Mary Jane at least until daybreak - looking at the time on his phone, it wasn't even close to midnight yet.

"No. There is information in the plan that you should be privy to."

The line then disconnected and Peter threw his head back and groaned, just barely fighting back the urge to scream.

It was in moments like this where Peter seriously regretted joining Fury's mission. It's been two days since their renegotiation and where Peter finally accepted Fury's terms. Sure, there were perks to it, but they were difficult for him to remember every time he was interrupted from his first mission to go and join the other. But he couldn't deny how nice it was to be upgraded to the five-star hotel suite rather than staying in the hostel - yes, he barely spent any time there but the few hours of sleep that he allowed himself on the downy mattress were heavenly and rejuvenated his body so that it was fighting-ready.