Chapter Thirty-Nine

A/N: Please like, subscribe, and comment! It really helps my motivation to continue writing this story.

.

.

.

Chapter Thirty-Nine

.

.

.

Misery plagued Peter for the remainder of the week as Mary Jane's impending departure drew nearer with each passing moment. It always hit him at the weirdest moments too - where he would think he was fine one moment, but then he would catch sight of something red and think of her hair... or he would spot an object that reminded him of one of their inside jokes and he would internally crumble at the thought of missing her.

When he saw an advertisement for 'Tiger Mountain' at the Bronx Zoo on a passing billboard, he could only sigh longingly as he thought of what Mary Jane would think to say about it to him. There was also one day, while he was out swinging as Spider-Man, where he caught sight of 'Sugar Girl Cookies' - the shop where Mary Jane had thoughtfully bought him a dozen personalized sugar cookies to thank him for the photo shoot. The reminder of which only caused him to perch himself on top of the Empire State Building for over an hour, scrolling through Mary Jane's Instagram photos on his phone... again. He really had no clue how many times he's seen these pictures, but it was most definitely racking up there in the numbers.

Though he had reluctantly admitted to himself that the picture of her in that green bikini was one of his favorites, he always caught himself lingering on the picture that she posted of the two of them together from their walk in the park. She had said about the photo after taking it that they both looked 'cute'. He hadn't really thought much about the words at the time but now he wondered what she really meant behind the comment - did she mean that they looked cute together?

It was on his swing home, as he passed the Lincoln Building in Manhattan - the organization that was sending Mary Jane to Europe - where his mood plummeted once again. His emotions were like a wave in the ocean these days, mostly crashing down.

He couldn't even put in any of his usual wise-cracks against the petty criminals he's been going after and catching lately. His heart just wasn't in it.

All that he really wanted to do was simply go through the motions as his mind contemplated things... like agonizing over whether Mary Jane would've said yes to him or not if her European tour was off the table. It was a thought that plagued him ever since he had found out about her trip. But whenever he was feeling positive, he would have thoughts on if he should ask her out on a date for when she returned.

He couldn't quite put his finger on why, but for some reason, her going away had a bit of a note of finality to it. Like, if he didn't act now, then nothing would ever happen between them. It was a ridiculous notion, of course. Mary Jane would be coming back after her two weeks away, and Peter could plan to ask her out then. Plus, it would give him the time to come up with a plan on asking her.