Chapter Twenty-Five

.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter Twenty-Five

.

.

.

Peter must have stood there in stunned silence for about three minutes straight. All the while, his mind was going through a range of emotions that repeated itself in a vicious loop.

The first that he felt was elation, and it was obvious to guess at why. Mary Jane Watson, the girl of his dreams, was confessing her feelings for him. What wasn't there to love about that? Especially in the way that she spoke it, so bold and beautiful. So sure in her feelings for him.

But then, she had continued to speak and told him the truth as to why she ran away to Denver in the first place... Which brought him to his next emotion - jealousy.

So his suspicions were proven to be true. She just confirmed it right before his eyes. Mary Jane had feelings for Harry too. His practical side really couldn't blame her. Harry was a good guy. He was also rich, good-looking, and funny. He was the perfect catch.

The only thing that Peter had that Harry didn't was his spider powers, which seemed to be the one thing that drew Mary Jane to him - or rather to Spider-Man.

As this thought struck him, a deep melancholy took root in his chest. Peter never really did have a chance with her, did he? It was always about Spider-Man. But if Mary Jane ever found out that it was Peter Parker behind the mask, she would surely grow to resent him.

The last emotion that he felt was pain from the loss that he felt. There was an empty, hollow feeling that started somewhere in his gut and was currently spreading to infect the rest of his body.

It would've been so much easier if she had liked him for him, and not because of the mask.

But as per usual, Peter rarely ever got what he wanted. He was cursed with bad luck for all eternity.

Spider-Man was starting to feel like both a gift and a curse now.

His eyes freely surveyed her beautiful face freely. She was so stunning it almost hurt to look at her right now. Even with her face bare of makeup, she was gorgeous. It gave her the look of pure innocence. It was fitting because he thought of her as an angel. What would he do when that hopeful gleam in her eyes crumbled away to disappointment? Would that be the equivalent of cutting off her angel wings?

He jumped out of his reverie when he felt her touch on his pectoral, right over his heart. "I'm sorry that I shocked you," She said, her eyes focused on where she could no doubt feel his racing heartbeat underneath her hand. "Just breathe and take your time. I'll be right here."