Chapter Twenty-Three

A/N: Please make sure to vote and leave a comment for each chapter - it really helps out the story.

.

.

.

Chapter Twenty-Three

.

.

.

Mary Jane was woman enough to admit that she had cried while on the phone with Spider-Man.

It was as he was telling her about her father and all that he had done - what he had turned into - when the tears just started to spill over. Spider-Man had heard the gasping catch in her voice and had surmised correctly what exactly was going on.

"No, Mary Jane," His voice sounded so pained and soothing at the same time as he tried coaxing her with his words, "Please. Don't cry. It will all be okay. I promise. I will make this right."

She sniffled and wiped at her eyes. She was glad that she had stepped into the bathroom in her hotel room to take this call. She didn't want her Aunt Anna's eyes on her at the moment. Mary Jane rarely ever cried, so it was quite the baffling sight to see. Especially since she was such an ugly crier. Her face and neck got all blotchy red due to her creamy skin.

"I'm sorry," She said, even though she didn't quite understand why she was apologizing to him, "It's just that... He didn't always used to be like this. When I was really young, he was actually a great dad. But life got in the way and..."

She trailed off as she recalled what exactly got in the way. Her dad started to struggle with a gambling addiction and squandered all of their savings away. He had lost his job so only her mom was supporting their family on her waitressing tips. That was when all of the arguing and resentment started and her dad had turned to drinking and smoking on top of his gambling.

"I wish that I was there with you right now," There was a desperate longing in Spider-Man's voice, "I wish that I could hug you."

She let out a breathy laugh as she wiped at her cheeks again. "Trust me, Spider. You don't want to see me right now. I'm not a pretty sight whenever I cry."

He let out a derisive snort. "I highly doubt that."

She ignored his comment and sighed. "So what do we do now?"

There was a slight pause before Spider-Man started speaking again, "I actually already discussed this with Mr. Stark and he came up with a solution for your safety."

She let out a shaky breath, trying to calm herself enough to get a clear mind. "Alright, let's hear it."

"He said that he could get an apartment for you and your aunt that you can stay in, sort of like a safe house. He also told me that he's going to get your neighbors - May and Peter Parker - to use their spare key to pack some of you and your aunt's things."