Chapter Twenty-Seven

.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter Twenty-Seven

.

.

.

For the seventh time within the span of a week, Mary Jane found herself crying. It was starting to get ridiculous. One would think that she was pregnant or something from how hormonal she was behaving. But that still didn't stop her tears as soon as she found herself alone on the temporary bed she had claimed for her stay in this new apartment. She had been holding it in for most of the day, so as soon as she had closed the door behind her, the waterworks went off like she had removed the plug from a waterspout.

So... Peter only wanted to be friends. That seemed to be the theme as of late when it came to her. First Spider-Man and now Peter... Was she wrong in the way that she perceived herself? Was she not as pretty or confident or bold or energetic as she once thought? Was there something wrong with her in the way that would encourage two boys that she liked to reject her within the span of twenty-four hours?

She wiped haphazardly at her eyes as she flipped over on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. It was crazy to think on how much she had taken Peter for granted before now... It was shameful for her to reflect on it now, but she now realized that - subconsciously, at least - she had been keeping Peter in her back pocket... to take out and explore if things didn't work out with Spider-Man. Perhaps this was exactly what she deserved from Peter. He was everything that a girl could want but she had been too blind to see it.

It was just that... she knew Spider-Man first. They had hit it off instantly while with Peter, it was more of a slow burn - where at first it was a simple lit match until it grew to a blazing forest fire, so hot that she couldn't help but get burned. But she was apparently the only one who felt this way. Peter seemed to be completely indifferent to her. How had she misread the signs so entirely? When he had been taking her picture - the way that he had looked at her - she was so sure that he had feelings for her in that moment. But she must have been wrong...

She hid her eyes by covering them with her arm as she let out a deep sigh, trying not to picture Peter's beaming grin or the way that his eyes crinkled when he laughed. It was a difficult image for her to shake, he was so classically handsome - in a very old-time Hollywood sort of way. Compared to Peter Parker, James Dean looked like a sack of russet potatoes.

She let out a shaky breath. She really hated being stuck in limbo, having things in her life kept unresolved. But it looked like she would have to learn the art of patience. Maybe Spider-Man would soon come back with his answer on whether he had any feelings for her. Maybe after going to the party together, Peter would see that there could be something between them - something more. There were a lot of 'maybes' in her life right now and it was almost more than she could stand.