Chapter Forty-Seven

A/N: Please like, subscribe, and comment! It really helps my motivation to continue writing this story.

.

.

.

Chapter Forty-Seven

.

.

.

If Peter thought that it was awkward having to wait with Mark Watson in the terminal to board their flight, it was nothing compared to actually sitting next to the man in the crammed aircraft. Their flight was direct, meaning that they had to sit there like this for the entirety of their trip until they landed in Venice. Peter had to remind himself that this was actually a good thing - that they didn't have any layovers - but that was difficult to remember every time Peter's elbow knocked into Mr. Watson's, which was hogging the armrest. He longed for time away from the man but...

'This is for Mary Jane,' Peter thought to himself, 'The sooner that they arrived in Venice, the better.'

Mark waited until they were high up in the sky after takeoff and for the seatbelt sign to signal off before he turned fully in his seat to face Peter - his expression both impatient and speculative. "I think it's about time you tell me the information that you know about my baby girl."

Peter frowned at the command in the man's voice. He really had some nerve, didn't he? Especially since Peter had all of the cards to play here while Mark had nothing. How did he think that he could weasel his way into ordering Peter about without any sort of bargaining chip to offer in exchange?

"I've got a better idea," Peter mused, "Why don't I just call the shots and you listen? I've had a lot of experience dealing with missions like this and-"

"Don't give me that bullshit," Mark sneered with a wave of his hand in the air, looking as though he were trying to bat away an annoying fly. "You were never even formally named an Avenger."

"Not true-"

"Really?" Mark smirked as he interrupted his protest, a heavy brow slowly raised in Peter's direction. "Did I miss that press release?"

Despite himself, Peter could feel his cheeks darken. What could he possibly say to that? That he was dubbed an Avenger by Tony Stark while hurtling in an alien ship through space? It sounded impressive, yes, but also unbelievable. Mr. Watson would think he was lying to save face. That's also not to mention that all of the other Avengers didn't really get the memo of Peter's status change... it was not like it had been on the forefront of Peter's mind to tell them after the battle - after Mr. Stark... died.

The only witness to Peter's new elevated superhero status had been Doctor Strange, but he wasn't exactly an Avenger himself either, was he? It was difficult to keep up these days... Peter sighed and ran a hand through his hair, making it more unruly, before he finally settled on saying, "I turned them down the first time it was offered."