Chapter Twenty-Six

.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter Twenty-Six

.

.

.

It took many weeks for Flint Marko to figure out how to reform his body from the mud. After spending day after day in the sewer in agonizing formlessness. It had been plenty of time for him to reflect on many things and also for his hatred to grow. He wanted to kill Spider-Man. He wanted to bury him so deep beneath the sand that not even a construction excavator could dig him up. The freak ruined his life. Turned Flint into some sort of lab rat when The Big Man had kidnaped him from prison. Now, Flint couldn't even enjoy the simple pleasures that life had to offer. He couldn't eat. He couldn't drink. Hell, he couldn't even have sex. His body was broken beyond repair and it was all Spider-Man's fault.

It was during his time of reflection that a memory popped into his head. It was from his last night in prison - ironically the last night of what he considered to be his freedom. Mac Gargan, the hotshot who had been sharing a cell with him, had told him that there was someone in the prison that he suspected knew the Wall-Crawler's identity... The Vulture - Adrian Toomes.

He smiled ferally as he waited for the rest of his sandy body to dry from its current damp state. It looks like he was going back to prison... voluntarily, this time.

..................

Peter felt like hell when he woke up the next morning for school. He had gotten little to no sleep agonizing over Spider-Man's conversation with Mary Jane. He hadn't told Aunt May anything of that conversation, choosing to keep it to himself in fear that she would beat him over the head with any object that happened to be closest to her. She just wouldn't understand why he didn't jump at the chance at being with Mary Jane... Hell, he barely understood it himself.

All that he could really fixate on as he thought on it was that it all felt massively deceptive toward Mary Jane to keep going on as they were. She had feelings for Spider-Man and Harry. Not Peter. He had to remind himself of that.

He stayed in bed for as long as he could before he mustered enough strength to get up and trudge his way through getting ready for the day. Picking out a muted gray sweater, he put it on over a button-down shirt and a pair of dark jeans. Nothing too special. Then, he slicked back his hair in its normal style. Just plain, ordinary Peter Parker.

When he walked out of his bedroom, his Aunt May tossed a bagel at him. He had been so focused on his thoughts that he had missed it until it hit him in the face, but he managed to catch it before it hit the floor.

Aunt May put her hands to her lips in order to smother her laugh. "I'm sorry. It's just- you've got cream cheese on your chin now."

She approached Peter with a damp towel and wiped at his chin for him. He gave her a soft smile but he could tell that his eyes weren't in it. "Thanks, May."