Chapter Twenty-Four

.
.
.

.

.

.

Chapter Twenty-Four

.

.

.

Thompson Lincoln was sitting at his desk, burning the midnight oil - a price to pay for one that lived a double life. He was currently reviewing the latest negotiation document that he had received from Walter Hardy - AKA, The Cat Burglar. Rumor had it that he had broken into S.H.E.I.L.D. headquarters undetected and saw a secret formula written on a projection board - a formula to create a suit that gave the wearer super-strength. Lincoln was not naive to the fact that Mr. Hardy had built quite the reputation for himself over the years. No place was too difficult for The Cat Burglar to break into, and all while keeping under the radar - something that even the Avengers were not privy to. Not even the illustrious Black Widow, who prides herself as one of the top spies in the world knew of The Cat Burglar.

But what also made Mr. Hardy exceptional was his photographic memory... which was why he was going to sell the formula to the highest bidder.

Lincoln was many things, but among them was not stupid. He knew that many of his enemies wanted to get their hands on that secret formula. Fisk and Osborn, especially.

But there was also a new name on the scene... the masked man who dubbed himself 'The Big Man' of crime. Quite ostentatious and not at all Lincoln's style. No... he preferred his double life where he was able to keep under the radar from the mass public.

By day, he was L. Thompson Lincoln, humanitarian and Times Magazine's 'Man of the Year'. But by night... he was Tombstone, crime boss extraordinaire. For years, he owned this city. Organized crime in New York had been his domain alone. But the time has come for those who threatened his rule...

Lincoln wanted to end it. Wanted to kill all thoughts of treachery or treason forever. He wanted that formula, and he was prepared to spend as much as it took to get it.

He was interrupted from reviewing Mr. Hardy's counteroffer by the door of his office opening. His young secretary, Glory Grant, walked in holding a package.

"Mr. Lincoln?" She asked, hesitantly hovering in the open door. He almost smiled. He knew that she was afraid of him. She had seen the many sketchy characters that have walked through those doors and into his office... and some never returned to exit the building.

"Yes, Miss Grant, what is it?" He asked, trying to push back the irritation at being interrupted during such a pivotal moment in his criminal career.

Miss Grant swallowed before she stepped forward."The portfolio that you asked me to keep an eye out for has finally arrived."

Ah. Yes. Finally. He had been waiting for this.

"Of course. Please, set it on my desk."

Miss Grant nodded and did as she was told, stepping forward and setting it on the corner of his desk in front of him.