Seventeen

"Charles, I have to ask. That night when you were drunk, those three names. What did they mean to you? Who were they to you, I mean" I ask carefully and the playful laugh coming from him, quietens down.

"Jules, was my godfather. He died in 2014 in a race" Charles tells me, I nod and sent him a soft reassuring look.

He looked uncomfortable, but he would stop if he didn't want to tell me.

"Anthoine, he was my friend. Good friend. He died in 2018, also in a race" Charles said and his jaw clenched.

I suddenly grew more horrified of the many deaths of the formula races.

"My father, Hervè, died battling cancer in 2017" Charles says. Before I can stop myself I put my hand his and squeeze it on the table.

"I'm so sorry" I say sincerely. Charles intervenes our hands instead and gives it a tight squeeze.

"That night you caught me in grief" Charles finishes and I nod.

"Thank you for elaborating, I know I probably could've googled the answers or asked around, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that" I say and Charles chuckles.

"The social media Manager doesn't like googling? Who would've thought" Charles playfully says.

I shake my head at him and his attempt to lighten the mood. I took the hint and take my hand back.

"Are you excited for the next race?" I ask and Charles nods. "Yeah, it's going to be an interesting race" Charles says with a nod.

"I can see that, you, Lewis and Max are really close with the points" I say and Charles scoffs.

"We're not" Charles says and leans forward.

"Statistics says something else though" I retort and lean forward as well.

"You're sexy when you get determined" Charles says and I smirk at him. I couldn't let the comment throw me off.

"Don't get yourself too riled up, Leclerc" I say tauntingly and lean back again.

"How long till your flight?" Charles asks and looks at the time. "Shit. An hour and a half, I have to pack" I say and curse as I check the time.

"Alright, let's wrap this up" Charles says and gets up, I do too and Charles hands me my coat.

"Wait the bill—""—is already paid" Charles interrupts as I started to turn back.

"Oh, I'll get the next one then" I say and smirk at him.

"There's a next one?" Charles asks happily, with a slight smirk hinting on his lips.

"We'll see" I say and walk out. Charles runs a hand through his hair and ruffle it a bit before following me, he places his hand on my lower back and guides me back out of the restaurant to his car.

"This counts as a second date, Lorenzi" Charles calls after me as he opens the door to his car for me.

"I don't think so" I say and smirk as I get in. "I think it does" Charles says before closing my door.

He gets in and as I get ready for him to take off, he just sits there, he's staring at me and I sigh.

"What now?" I ask with a small laugh.

"It's a second date, the third is in Belgium" Charles already decides for me and my jaw drops.

"What happened to asking romantically now a days?" I mumble and sigh.

"If I did ask you romantically, you would turn me down, Chèrie" Charles says amused with a small laugh.

"True, but still" I say and roll my eyes.

"Do you want me to be more romantic?" Charles asks with a smirk.

"Why would you be? We're just...well not friends but more like acquaintances" I ask and smirk as I see him struggle to explain our situationship.

"We're dating. You just don't know it yet, wait until third date. I'll sweep you off of your feet" Charles says determined and winks at me.

"You're so confident, how?" I ask with a snort.

"I know it's a matter of time before you let me in" Charles says. The fact that this time I didn't think he meant it sexually. My smile drops.

"I don't think so, Leclerc. Now get me back to my hotel plea—" I'm cut off by a soft pair of lips.

Charles' hands holds my face softly and I almost melt in the kiss, our lips moved in sync.

I couldn't help it, it felt so right. Too right to be wrong.

Charles deepens the kiss and I let him. We're making out for a good ten minutes, before Charles lets slightly go of me, but his touch never left my skin.

"I really need to get back to the hotel" I whisper with a small chuckle.

"Alright. Third date in Belgium?" Charles repeats from earlier.

"Yeah alright, you convinced me" I say in defeat and Charles laughs.

The engine roars as he starts the car and takes off quickly.

I watch the city lights in the streets of Hungary. I look back and forth between Charles and the road.

Why did I let him kiss me? Why did I let him play me?

"Stop thinking so much" Charles suddenly says and proceeds to snap me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I ask confused.

"It's genuine. Let's just see what happens" Charles says and I think of his words.

'It's genuine' his actions, words, his affection towards me.

Did I believe it? I was starting to. But then again he fooled around with that girl at the club the other day.

"It's not" I chuckle sarcastically. This wasn't the time for him to gaslight me.

"Why not?" Charles asks confused.

"Well, you have showed me multiple times it's not. So, don't lie" I tell him and state facts.

I cling onto them and succeed in building my wall back up. I let him go too far.

"How did I show you?" Charles asks in a more serious tone.

"Club" I remind him and he remains quiet.

"Nothing happened with her" Charles says with a shrug. He shrugged like it was meaningless, but his shoulders tensed and his jaw clenched.

"Oh, I think the lipstick marks told another story" I retort sarcastically.

"Are you jealous?" Charles suddenly asks. Of course, he pulled that card.

"Never in a million years, that I can guarantee you, Leclerc" I say with a laugh.

"I hate liars. That's the thing and you're filled with it" I say and Charles almost looks hurt.

"Chèrie" Charles mumbles, so quietly I almost don't hear it.