Chapter-39

Harvi's p.o.v-

I entered unknown, new territory of Subbabs. The land was still heavily shielded with knee deep snow. However, it seemed more lively. I could see the people taking care of their trees. The wild snowy flowers blossomed mesmerizingly. I trotted forward with a hungry stomach and tired knees and back. The village came into my view after walking for a mile or two.

The Subbabs weren't known for their riches and gold castles like Arkadian and their Emperor and Princes. However, they were blessed with natural beauty and earthly jewels. They were highly skilled in both medical and artistic fields. I once came across a Subbab woman who was gifted to The Emperor as a token of gratitude by Subbabs.

She played the flute so beautifully that it made me highly enchanted and I have never seen anybody holding and manipulating the verses of a song that much heavenly. I sighed heavily thinking of the times when I was still held as a slave, as a whore of Zades. I shook my head to get rid of those rotten thoughts. I was finally free but not still out of danger yet.

I walked along the boundary of the village, too scared to get closer. I frequently looked behind my back to make sure that I was out of Arkadia and gladly sent some prayers above. The spiky thorns of the boundary lines was the hard reality check for me that I was a rogue, that I belong to none of these kingdoms or countries.

"Hey, who are you?" The question threw me off my balance. I had been asked this question millions of times and yet I seemed to not know what to answer spontaneously.

"I am a traveler." I quickly stood back up on my feet and confidently answered to the man who was dressed in woolen clothings of many furry animals.

"Clearly." He mumbled, looking at me from head to toe with a frowned look upon his face. His scrutinizing gaze told me he was trying to confirm whether or not I was a thief or a bandit or a murderer on a run. My appearance might have given him a clue or two.

"You sure, you aren't running from something… or someone?" He asked, adjusting the large frozen fish over his shoulder.

"No." I answered.

"Then you must come with me to meet our leader. We accept travelers and tourists as our guests but not the bad ones." The man gave me a smile with yellowish teeth. I tried to reciprocate the gesture but I ended up grimacing which luckily he didn't take it as offensive.

The man was either too naive or too cunning as no man before had ever treated me nicely on our first meeting. He didn't seem to care that I had different skin and hair color than him either. Even Zades who seemed to claim undying likeness toward me was disgusted of me, he was racist, sexist and a manwhore who fucked pretty women only.

The man whistled all along, singing songs that could destroy eardrums and coughing like an old man on his deathbed but other than that he didn't ask me any more questions. In fact, he forcibly shared some dried meat with me. I declined politely but he whacked me on the back with the huge fish, making my eyes go wide. He swore he would be punished if his mother would come to know he left a guest unattended and didn't offer me food.

"My name is Heto. What's yours?" He asked.

"Harvi." I answered.

"You don't speak much. Do you?" Heto asked me.

I shook my head, already tired with all of the walking. I didn't want to come across rude to Heto who was coming across as nice and harmless but I was afraid to let my guard down. Fortunately, Heto got the hint and kept his mouth shut, only humming to himself until we reached the beautiful wooden house, covered in snow.

"Here you go." Heto tipped his hat.

"What am I supposed to do?" I called irritably after Heto who immediately turned back and began to walk away.