Fifty-Three.

Maya

Stable... That's the word I read over and over again in Carina's message. He's not awake yet but he's stable. I couldn't find it in myself whether it made me relieved or anxious.

At around 1, a knock on my office door pulled me from the paper work I was attempting to focus on rather than the man I once emulated comatose in a hospital room. "Come in."

"Ciao, I brought someone with me." I stood up as I saw my mom walk in, looking a lot more put together, with longer hair and more color on her face. It was odd to see my mother with her shoulders lower set on her body and her face held a little higher.

"Hi sweetie." She put her bag down and moved around the desk, stopping just before approaching me, "Can I?"

My eyes looked over at Carina who simply tilted her head and nodded. I mimicked her and felt my mothers arms around my neck. "Hi mom." Affection was rare in the Bishop household, it wasn't something I was used to until Carina, so it was odd to be hugging my mother and feel a little soothed.

"I'm sorry I ran off. I'm sorry for everything. I should have done more to protect you and your brother," my eyes closed and I hugged her back.

"Have you seen him?" My voice almost cracked, but I was able to recover. She pulled away from me, dabbing her eyes and I fixed her hair around a little.

If a hug was strange, it was even more odd to feel elated at the sight of my mother smiling at me and putting her hand on my cheek like I'd felt her do on very limited occasions of my childhood. "My sweet girl. No, I checked in and then Dr. DeLuca came to find me. She said you wanted to talk to me first."

"I haven't seen him either so I don't have much information." She turned to look at Carina who walked deeper into my office, probably trying to give us as much space as possible.

"Are you his doctor?" Mom asked my girlfriend and she smiled apologetically.

"No, but I figured since Maya is working, I can give you the update and you two can decide together what to do and I can take your mama back to the hospital Maya." I pointed at the chair in front of my desk for my mom. I sat against my desk as Carina twiddled with her rings.

"Yes, please. As much information as you have." She nodded and straightened herself out.

"Bene so, he is stable. He's in a medically induced coma because he suffered a stroke as a side effect to the alcohol poisoning. The specifics could be better explained by Dr. Shepherd who is the neurosurgeon treating him. She said he was in earlier in the week because of a fall where he fractured his ankle. He was prescribed some strong anti-inflammatory medication and because it was circling his system he was susceptible to brain bleeds. There some contusions from some seizures he must have experienced before the paramedics found him. Dr. Shepherd wants to wait a few days for the swelling to subside before trying to wake him." Carina said rather elegantly, as if the information was not about my father. Her doctor voice was detached and straight to the point. I could've been mad at her for seeming so distant, but her eyes told me she was not so detached. "Her hope is with some extra days of rest his brain can heal and the deficits are minimal."

"Is there a chance he won't wake up?" My mom asked and I closed my eyes to figure out what that would make me feel. All I felt was confused.

"She's not a neurosurgeon mom." I butted in before Carina could answer, my eyes stayed set on the floor. My tone could have been warmer.

"Maya's right. All I know is it's not out of the realm of possibility. I can talk to Dr. Shepherd and get more information, should you decide not to go see him. You both have my number should either of you need it." She smiled at my mother who got up to go hug her. I frowned at their seemingly familiar embrace.