ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶

"Aurora" the king called for her making her step forward.

She felt eyes on her as she helped the king off his throne. A new cut had appeared on his forearm and she could feel the fabric of his cloak ripped a bit and slightly soaked.

"I told you to try and not sit on that damn throne if you could help it" she hissed through her teeth as she tried to keep her smile up "You know how much time on bed rest you are going to need?"

"I do Aurora" the king chuckled as the two and his knights left the room followed by the nobles exiting the throne room "Forgive me"

"It's fine" Aurora waved him off.

"You will be joining us for supper correct?" he asked her.

"Of course my king" he let the guards accompany the king to his chambers.

Aurora went to Rhaenys' side as she came out of the throne room.

"I'm impressed with how you healed my cousin Aurora" the lady of DriftMark said.

Baela was still walking behind her grandmother and Aurora gave the young girl a small smile.

"I'm afraid it was not enough my lady" Aurora lowered her voice so Baela didn't hear her "his wounds keep getting infected and I think it's because of the Iron Throne"

"What do you mean?" Rhaenys asked in the same low voice leaning slightly over to Aurora.

"The infection that usually happen in open wounds is different from the one your brother is getting from the Iron Throne" she explained "I've tried many methods but I've only been able to prolong his life several months. I don't know if I could do more"

Aurora was saying the truth. The studies on the books said that what Viserys got was some infection of the same sort as leprosy. If that was the truth then Aurora didn't have enough medical help to treat it. All she could do was relieve his pain.

"Thank you for telling me Rori"

"Of course" Aurora turned to leave.

Ф

Aurora wore the very same dress to the dinner. She was one of the first at the table apart from Otto.

"Lady Belgrave" he nodded at her in greeting.

"Ser Hand" she answered back coldly.

They sat at the table in silence  as the rest of the family made their way into the room. She sat at the end of the table between Aemond and Helaena. Luckily they were the two people she actually knew from all those on the table. Otto and Alicent she only met in formal occasions, Aegon was always to drunk for her and Rhaenyra's side of the family hadn't even interacted with her.

They all sat in complete silence as the servants brought the food out. Alicent and Rhaenyra were sharing small awkward glances. Everyone stood when the king walked in. He sat himself between his daughter and wife allowing everyone else to sit.

"Prayer before we begin?" Alicent asked her husband softly.

"Indeed" he turned to the whole table "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love" he let out softly "May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long"

Daemon did not laugh since Vaemond hadn't died so they had no need to pray for his rest and bla, bla, bla. Just a few small things changed but they were quite significant.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems" Viserys continued "My grandsons, Jace and Luke, are going to marry their cousins Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young princes and their betrotheds"

"Hear, hear!" they raised their glasses in celebration.

"Well done Jace, you'll finally get to lie with a woman" Aurora rolled her eyes at Aegon.

"Let us toast prince Lucerys as well, the future lord of the Tides" the king continued.

Aurora watched as the happy couple across from her interacted sweetly. A foot hit her leg and she glared at Aemond who had been the culprit of said aggression. He motioned his head to the king who had now turned to Aurora.

"And of course a toast to our new maester Aurora" the young lady tried to stop the blush from rising on her face due to the sudden change of attention "A fantastic young woman who has shown her incredible talents several times"

They raised their glasses to her and Aurora made eye contact with Aemond who turned his head to her slightly and smiled at her from over his goblet.

"You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle?" she heard Aegon whisper over to Lucerys while everyone toasted them "Where to put your cock and all that?"

"Let it be cousin" Baela said.

"You can play the jester if you wish, but hold your tongue before my betrothed"

"Aegon" the first prince turned to Aurora and gulped at the look she gave him "Enough"

Viserys stood up from his seat.

"It both gladdens my heart and fills me with sorrow, to see you all here at the table. The people I hold dearest to me in the world, growing so distant from each other in the past years" he reached his hand up to the mask nd removed it.

Despite all his treatments in the past weeks that had made his other wounds begin to heal, the ones on his face wouldn't close. He hadn't lost his eye yet but the one on his cheek was left open and bared.

"My own face, despite the best efforts of the maesters..." he turned to his daughter so she could see the damage done to his face "...is no longer a handsome one...if indeed it ever was. But tonight, I wish for you to see me as I am. Not just a king but your father" he looked at Rhaenyra "Your husband" he turned to Alicent "your friend" he looked at Aurora "and your grand sire" there was quite a long pause as everyone remained silent "Let us no longer hold I'll feelings in our hearts. The crown cannot stand strong if the house of the Dragon remains divided. But set aside your grievances, if not for the sake of the crown, then for the sake of this old man, who loves you all so dearly"

After his long monologue the king sat back down. Next, Rhaenyra stood from her seat.

"I wish to raise my cup to her grace, the queen" she looked at Alicent as the auburn haired woman placed the mask back on her husband's face "I love my father. But I must admit that no one has stood more loyally by his side, than his good wife" both women shared a look of understanding "She his tended to him with utmost loyalty and unfailing devotion. And for that, she has my gratitude and apology"

The heir sat back down.

"Your graciousness moves me deeply princess" Alicent said "We re both mothers. And we both love our children. We have more in common than we sometimes allow. I raise my cup to you and your house" and she did so "You will make a fine queen"

Aurora snorted in the down low when she saw the look of absolute utter shock that appeared on Otto Hightower's face as he looked upon his daughter when she said that.

Ж

Aemond noticed her reaction and looked at his own grandfather realising why she had laughed.
He smiled as he took another sip of his wine like everyone else.