Chapter 28: 10 Steps Back

Warnings: Suicidal Ideations; Suicide Attempt; Self Harm

Chapter Description: Back at Derek's loft Stiles revisits what happened back in the alternate reality. When he comes to a dangerous conclusion, it unknowingly leaves consequences for those around him.

Stiles stared at the wall silently as his memory played back to the alternate world they just escaped from. He begged him to do it. Even if it wasn't out loud in his head the pleading was there...

"Please for the love of god," Stiles whispered in his head, "Kill me. For once let me go. Let me die. I'm so tired of fighting. Just kill me..."

He was hoping the werewolf killed him. Stiles clutched the dagger in his hand tightly. He placed it on his neck slowly. Tears fell to the ground as he broke the skin with the blade. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply making the blade dig deeper and a drop of blood spill. It's for the better. He was tired anyway. After all, he still has constant nightmares. He can't remember the last time he's had good rest. He wanted to go into eternal sleep. Maybe this time it'll be good to rest for once. He slit his neck and began choking on his blood.

Klaus lifted his head as the smell of blood hit his nose.

"Stiles," Klaus shouted, racing into the bedroom.

He broke the door down and grabbed Stiles. He noticed the pulse still going but slowly dying. He bit his wrist and shoved it up to his mouth. Stiles's eyes opened slightly. He lifted his hand as if he wanted to push him away. His wound began healing and Klaus set him down in bed.

"Please, dad," Stiles said, crying.

Klaus stroked his hair gently with worried eyes.

"What is it, Stiles," Klaus asked, "Does it still hurt?"

"I don't... I don't want to keep going," Stiles whispered, tears staining his pillow, "I want to die. Please, let me die..."

Klaus froze as horror replaced his worried look. He looked behind him, hearing the paced heartbeat of Noah. He stood at the door and he too was crying.

"I'm tired," Stiles croaked, "I'm so tired."

Klaus only then began to realize how exhausted Stiles's looked. His eyes had slight bags under them. His face had dulled compared to their usual bright expression. He wondered if he had even slept much since Noah was attacked. Klaus stared at him as his pupils dilated before straining again.

"You're going to go to sleep. You will rest until you are no longer physically tired," Klaus said, "The only time you wake up is to eat, drink, and go to the restroom. Do not stop sleeping until you are fully rested."

Stiles stared at him with wide eyes and slowly drifted to sleep. Klaus dropped his head. He broke a promise to his siblings and therapist by doing this. But Stiles needed to sleep for once.

Elijah stood up at seeing Klaus walk into the room with Stiles's blood on his shirt. Klaus made eye contact with Elijah and walked to him.

"He's sleeping," Klaus said, "But when this is over. I need to go back to..."

Elijah didn't need him to finish to understand. He pulled Klaus into a hug.

"I'm sorry, Elijah," Klaus whispered.

"You had no choice," Elijah said, "I understand, Niklaus. If you want I can go with you..."

"No," Klaus said, "I have to do this on my own. I'll be okay."

"He has to go back to the mental institution," Kol asked, finally understanding.

"Yes," Elijah said, "After this is over, Klaus will have to return..."

"When did he compel one of us," Rebekah argued.

"Stiles," Klaus said, "I had to compel him to get him to sleep."

"But it shouldn't matter," Rebekah snapped.

"Rebekah, enough," Elijah said, "The decision has been made. End of discussion!"

Rebekah scoffed and stormed off to her bedroom.

"I'll go talk to her," Melissa said, walking to the bedroom.

Noah walked up to Klaus who dropped his head.

"I won't be around much but I hope you can wait for me..."

Noah kissed him.

"Klaus Mikaelson, you are stuck with me," Noah smiled, causing Klaus to laugh lightly, "I wouldn't dream of replacing you. I need you... I... I love you, Klaus. I will wait for you to get out. No matter how long it takes."

Klaus looked up.

"Aging?"

"I have Elijah on speed dial if need be I will drink vampire blood to slow it down," Noah reassured, caressing Klaus's face, "Thank you, by the way. For helping him. I know you meant well either way."

Klaus leaned into his hand.

"I love you too," Klaus said, kissing his palm.