Scene Nine

There should be no Matt Novak with her this afternoon. Then again, when you are hot for someone you can be unpredictable. Hence their Adrien situation.

Poor guy. Dealing with a mate bond, even a partial one for a full month? If the look on Julien's face was any indication, this is hard stuff.

Isis's dossier laid against the steering wheel. A collection of report cards, hobbies, strengths, weaknesses, interests, and the weirdest collection of family dynamics were available for Derek to thumb through. Liam mentioned that she was distant from her immediate family, but there's nothing in here that seems to be a symptom of that. No major fall outs, no check-ins at the packhouse, she still lived at home, and they were supporting her with college. Sure, she didn't have a car and it looks like her family could afford a used one at least. But is that a reason to think she doesn't have their support?

There was a trickle of students emerging from campus and wandering through the parking lot. Cars slowly cruised along following the pedestrians in hope of sliding into their parking spot when they left. The drivers and walkers slow danced throughout the day until the late afternoon when there were more parking spaces than interest.

Isis appeared, walking in his direction. The sun clipped the stray hairs, lighting them up like a halo around her head. Her figure and looks stood out, even if her clothing did not. A light sweater, tank top, and capri jeans were hardly eye-catching, but that sway of her hips were. That pout of her lips were. The intensity of her eyes were.

Makes you wonder how Adrien could land such a mate. He's not a bad looking dude, but still. She is astounding. She should be mated to Alpha Dominic, Beta William, or another pack leader, not some no-name warrior, even if they are in the E6.

Matt Novak could become a doctor and that would make sense for them to be paired up. She would make an excellent pack doctor's mate. Or be the pack doctor herself according to these transcripts.

Yep. She'll be better off being free of them.

Adrien.

Free of Adrien.

She should be heading to his left, down the sidewalk that would cut through the median and take her to the street, not continuing to walk deeper into the parking lot. Interesting change of plans. What's back here?

Scanning the rows of parked vehicles, there is no Matt. Neither of her parent's cars are here. Does she have a human acquaintance that they aren't aware of?

Her trajectory was taking her right next to his car... aaaaaand now she's standing outside his passenger door. Flipping the manilla folder closed, he stared across the interior of his car.

With the heavy clunks of an all-American made door being opened, she dropped down into the black leather bucket seat next to him.

"I think you have the wrong car," Derek informed her, hoping he sounded as cool as he should have.

Heavy lashes lifted so she could roll those eyes of hers. "You know I don't."

A bookbag was dropped on the floorboard and she looked around, taking in the interior. Basic dashboard, open area between the driver's legs and hers. The muscle car didn't have the posh touches that luxury cars had. This was meant to go fast and sound faster.

She looked over to him, sizing him up. His red hair and brown eyes were a rare combination that many people didn't get close enough to notice. The bulky size of his shoulders crowded his half of the vehicle. He felt like an elephant being cornered by a mouse. A devastatingly beautiful mouse.

He watched her eyes drop down to his neck, inspecting. Nothing there. Nothing ever will be there. There will never be mating marks for him.

"I would like to stop by the convenience store and get a box of ice cream sandwiches on my way home. I'll have enough to share with you and whoever is next on duty. But there are only four to a box and I'm saving one for Nancy, so you only get one."