Scenes 17 and 18

The classic industrial vinyl tiles accepted the pounding of the fighters' footsteps. Is there some building standard that requires all hospitals to use the same exact tile? The twelve-by-twelve squares of white with grey flecks would lead them to her room.

"Why are we exploring this? It's not common." Derek asked the fighter who invited himself to the changing of the guard. He was leaving the compound to relieve Julien when Kylian jumped in the truck too. The explanation on the drive over was, confusing. The situation was very comprehendible, but the possibility left feelings that were at odds with reality.

This is not something to get worked up about. It is such a long shot, he's just going to end up bitter if he gets too excited and it doesn't work out.

"We don't know that. We don't know what happened with other teams. Besides, every group has its own dynamics. Maybe this is ours. Liam says at least one other group turned their breeder into a mate."

"Would she normally have been selected?"

"You don't have to have the pedigree Sophia has to be part of us."

Well, that's true. Alpha Dominic's selected breeder has qualifications strong enough to keep her from being killed when her pack was taken over by his father. They weren't going to get a tall, steady female with beta blood.

But is that better than Isis?

This is a stupid line of questioning. Her genes? You're really going to simplify this entire situation down to physical characteristics and ignore how she is bold enough to jump into his car, smart enough to disappear when she sensed danger from Marc? She shot a bear in the fucking face after having near mortal wounds inflicted, and you are going to ignore all of that for a six-foot frame?

"You don't seem enamored with her." OK, that was a lame inquiry. But maybe if he could get the others to admit that they weren't obsessed with her enough to override protocol, he could just give up now.

"I like her just fine," Kylian assured Derek. "Better than any of the breeders I've met. I was never one to show my emotions much and I don't intend to change that about me. So, I'm telling you right now, I'm all in with this plan, so long as it's the right thing for her too."

The extra wide door was held open with a brown rubber wedge, that was promptly moved out of the way once they arrived. The fighter sitting in the corner raised an eyebrow as the door swung closed, locking the four of them in together.

Let's be honest. It's not that she needed protection, exactly. Her family was out of town, and she didn't accept Adrien's rejection. It made everyone feel better knowing she was being looked after, for the mate bond's sake, of course. Not because they were collectively invested in her well-being.

Isis was thankfully free of excessive monitoring equipment. She was passed out now but had been conscious and was out of danger. The bed was stretched out flat. Actually, this looked like a standard bed. They had been doing some strange upgrades in the recovery suites. Guess they figured that by having the rooms more home-like, they could keep the troublesome fighters there just a little bit longer. Come to think of it, this lighting was warm and comforting. Maybe they have that harsh setting available for people they don't like as well.

"Heard Marc got Chinese food for you delivered in the middle of a crisis at the border, and only tipped the guy twenty bucks," Kylian teased Julien as Derek made his way to the far side of the bed.

"I want to argue that, but I really can't. It's not inaccurate."

The males were talking to each other but looking at the quiet scene playing out across the room from them.