Scenes 19 and 20

Taking the side entrance to the packhouse was far less glamorous than the approach at the front. It was a serviceable door, not a grand affair of thick wood and fine hardware and the preferred point of entry for all of the E6.

Liam went first, taking four steps in two bounds. Adrien right behind him. A few twists and turns down basic service passageways and they were in the more elaborate areas for residents and guests that were not working the kitchen, laundry, or cleaning.

The clomping of shitkickers alerted anyone nearby that one or two of the six were heading down the hallway.

"Isis back home?" Liam asked as they rounded a corner to head to the main entertaining room. It was usually reserved for formal affairs, but this was kind of that.

"Yes. Her family came home earlier today. Julien watched over her house until they arrived." Adrien sounded like he was impersonating a steady and unaffected male.

"How are you?"

Unsettled. Distressed. Conflicted.

"Fine."

A grunt responded from the person in front of him.

Soon, a couple of doors depicting the last great battle on this territory were in view.

"Ready?" Liam asked, not bothering to look anywhere except their destination.

No.

"Yes."

But Adrien knows better. Like he hasn't seen everyone dread this meeting. Julien and Marc have been strained. Kylian has been quiet. Derek has been even quieter, as hard as that is to imagine.

"You?" He can't be the only one in this mess. Sure, he was the one who had the broken bond, but he wasn't the only one agitated.

This is the last component to their formation. It's supposed to be a celebration. Sure, it was always going to be awkward, but they were ready. They had been ready, up until just over a month ago. That's when things really went sideways.

A few silent seconds passed. Liam absolutely heard him. Even a human would have.

Guess the guy doesn't feel like lying.

Throwing his weight into it, a huge panel with Alpha Dominic's great great grandfather or something on it swung open and they entered the large room. Two large bodies were propped against the wall next to them and three cloaked figures were across the room. Looks like the party is all here.

With a nod, Liam signaled to Marc and Kylian to join them on their walk.

"Welcome E6!" The larger of the brown draped fellows spoke up. It was the most jovial of any monk they've ever heard. Not jovial, but the most jovial. Big difference. Can't blame the guy. They have to give up everything for this responsibility. No family, no birthdays, they don't even have names.

His hand reached back and the female cloaked in a delicate silver robe that hung from her shoulders reached up, placing it on his. With his lead, she stepped forward into their full view. The grey material flowed out with her forward progression. Clear strapped heels elongated already long toned legs and clicked with each step she took towards them.

He was presenting her with pride, reverence even. His chest seemed larger under all that wool and his smile broad. Funny that 'smiles' wasn't on the list of things they surrendered when accepting this position.

"May I present to you, Rebecca. She has been trained and is willing to accept the title of E6 breeder and the responsibilities and privileges of such."

Her hood was released and fell down her back. The long light brown hair hung in waves under the cloak and who knows how far. She was a dream. They certainly knew what they were doing when they invested their time and resources in her. If this were a month and a half ago, there would be a different set of feelings swirling through his gut.