Scene 27

"This part of the territory is banned. It's haunted," Isis said while looking over her mates and out the window. Derek was driving with Liam shotgun. She was one row back, pinned between Kylian and Adrien and in front of Marc and Julien.

"Yup," Kylian popped the P with a smile. "I wonder why."

"We have more than superstition to protect us, but it helps," Liam said while scanning the horizon.

After a few bumps and turns down a barely-there road, a fortified wall came into view. It was tall and smooth, piercing the ground and raising to the sky. Metal over masonry, it wasn't impossible to breach if you were in a tank, but it would slow you down. The inhabitants would have enough time to scramble.

The vehicle did a U-turn and soon they were backing through an opening she didn't know was there until it was engaged. Sliding past the thick barrier wall, the courtyard was surprisingly manicured into a tame oasis. The far side was classic mangled forest and twisted shrubbery: Rigid plants fighting back vines that hung like drapes across the pines.

The gate closed and Derek and Liam were the first to exit. She watched them survey the yard and circle the vehicle before Adrien and Kylian joined them.

"We're a little jumpy," Julien shared from behind her. "We aren't usually like this, but now we have you to protect."

Adrien reached in and when helping her out, he lifted her so that her legs wrapped around his waist.

"I have better ways of carrying you than that oaf," Adrien laughed and held her tight in his embrace. It might have been a gesture made in fun, but having his body pressed against hers, his hands on her butt, and with every step a slight rub against her core, things were heating up. Isis's arms wrapped around her original mate's neck and buried her face against his skin, feeling the tingles flow between them. A few steps towards his destination, a groan was elicited from her handler, drawing everyone's attention to their progress and her state of arousal.

"Let's get her inside before we lose control and end up with mosquito bites on all our asses," Liam gritted out leading the way to the front door as Julien and Marc folded their bodies out of the back seat and closed up the SUV.

The still air was calming and not stuffy when they passed over the threshold. She was getting a backwards look of the entry as she was carried through: Dark trim against cream-colored walls, a modern finish and bare of decoration. A rustic antler chandelier passed overhead and then they turned.

They flowed through a large living room perfect for entertaining parties, although it sounds like rules prohibited there ever being more than them and the offspring. That's still plenty. So, it was an appropriately sized family room.

"I can walk now," Isis teased into the ear next to her. A low growl was his response to such an obscure suggestion.

Walls squeezed in around her as they moved down a hallway. They didn't get far before Adrien turned them and walked through a set of double doors into the largest bedroom she's ever seen.

Reluctantly putting her on her feet, she slid down his chest and turned around.

Julien and Marc were already working the fireplace on the wall to her left, which had a door that seemed to open to a bathroom. The far side had a couch and a window, but no TV? Oh. The couch faced the largest bed she's ever seen.

"Is that an Alaskan King?" The expanse of surface was larger than the boarding room in the packhouse. Posters that looked like downed trees climbed from the corners to the ceiling. Instead of one large blanket covering the top, there was a collection of smaller covers and quilts, probably queen sized, laid out and folded up in piles.